Starts to the NFL and college football seasons aren’t the only big things happening in September. The 2021 Emmy Awards also happen this month. In this week’s Emmy blog, we list the contenders for best supporting actor and actress in the drama category. Check out Emmy Awards odds, analysis, and two free picks for Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress.
Odds Breakdown for the 2021 Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress Drama Series Emmy Award
2021 Emmy Awards
- When: Sep. 19, 2021
- TV / Streaming: CBS / Paramount+
Best Supporting Actor Drama Series
- Michael K. Williams – Lovecraft Country -190
- Giancarlo Esposito – The Mandalorian +250
- Tobias Menzies – The Crown +500
- Bradley Whitford – The Handmaid’s Tale +600
- John Lithgow – Perry Mason +1000
- Chris Sullivan – This Is Us +1600
- Max Minghella – The Handmaid’s Tale +1800
- O-T Fagbenle – The Handmaid’s Tale +2000
Michael K. Williams deserves the award, and we’d stand up and cheer if he wins it, but HBO Max didn’t renew Lovecraft Country even though it was one of the best reviewed shows in 2020. Still, Williams is worth a look if you don’t mind the somewhat underlay odds.
We’re going with Giancarlo Esposito, Gus Fring in both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. In The Mandalorian, Esposito creates one of the most awesome bad guys in the Star Wars universe. His character, Moff Gideon, is an on the ground Emperor Palpatine.
Esposito is the top play. Our second pick is veteran John Lithgow. The Handmaid’s Tale nominees should split the vote. Chris Sullivan is great in This is Us, but the show doesn’t have the cool factor like Perry Mason. Lithgow is a fan and Emmy voter favorite. He could pull off the upset.
Top Emmy Pick: Giancarlo Esposito
Top Second Emmy Pick: John Lithgow
Best Supporting Actress Drama Series
- Gillian Anderson – The Crown -2000
- Ann Dowd – The Handmaid’s Tale +900
- Helena Bonham Carter – The Crown +1000
- Yvonne Strahovski – The Handmaid’s Tale +1000
- Samira Wiley – The Handmaid’s Tale +1200
- Aunjanue Ellis – Lovecraft Country +1200
- Madeline Brewer – The Handmaid’s Tale +1600
- Emerald Fennell – The Crown +2000
Anderson, who plays Margaret Thatcher in Netflix’s flagship show, The Crown, is a lock. Going against her makes no sense. So, we’re not going to even try. If you want to score a winner, back Anderson, and start congratulating yourself before they open envelope.
But although Anderson will win, we’re putting a few buck on Emerald Fennell to pull off the upset. Fennell, who plays Camilla Parker Bowles, Charles’ girlfriend, does an excellent job. She also offers overlay odds compared to everyone else on this list.
Again, Anderson wins. But if you’re going to try and beat Fox Mulder’s former partner, why not back the longest shot on the board?
Top Emmy Pick: Gillian Anderson
Top Second Emmy Pick: Emerald Fennell