The 145th Kentucky Derby takes place on Saturday, May 4. Already, horseplayers are looking at past performances, circling the names of potential key horses, and figuring out their Derby wagers. Check out our 2019 Kentucky Derby odds and a preview of the Run for the Roses!
2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds, TV Schedule, Entry List & Preview
- When: Saturday, May 4 at 6:50pm ET
- Where: Churchill Downs Racetrack
- TV: NBC
- Live Stream: NBCsports.com
2019 Kentucky Derby Odds
- Roadster +500
- Omaha Beach +550
- Game Winner +700
- Improbable +900
- Maximum Security +1000
- Tacitus +1000
- Vekoma +1300
- Code of Honor +1600
- Plus Que Parfait +2000
- Haikal +2000
- War of Will +2000
- Cutting Humor +2000
- Win Win Win +2000
- By My Standards +2500
- Tax +2500
- Spinoff +2500
- Long Range Toddy +3300
- Gray Magician +3500
- Country House +5000
- Master Fencer (JPN) +6600
Are the west coast horses that much better than the other Kentucky Derby entrants?
Based on the early betting, the biggest question is whether the horses that train in California: Roadster, Omaha Beach, Game Winner, and Improbable, are better than the other likely entrants. The California horses are attracting early betting dollars. In particular, horseplayers have gravitated towards Roadster and Omaha Beach.
Roadster won the Santa Anita Derby while Omaha Beach won the Rebel Stakes over Game Winner and the Arkansas Derby over Improbable. If the west coast horses aren’t better, the Derby winner will pay big because the only horses offering odds less than +1000 are horses that train in California.
Which horse among Vekoma, Tacitus, and Maximum Security has the best chance of winning the roses?
All three have good to great chances of winning the Roses. It depends on how the race shapes up. Vekoma dominated the Blue Grass Stakes, Maximum Security dominated in the Florida Derby while Tacitus beat a tough horse in Tax to win the Wood Memorial. If the pace is fast, Vekoma and Maximum Security could be in some trouble. If the pace is slow, Tacitus could be in some trouble.
A case can be made for any of the three. If there is one that you’re fond of more than the other, don’t let anybody talk you off it.
What +2000 to +2500 horse has the best shot to win the Kentucky Derby?
The key race for the +2000 to +2500 horse could be the Louisiana Derby. War of Will was the chalk, but he got hurt in the middle of the race and finished off the board. He’s been training great, though. Spinoff made a menacing move around the turn, but couldn’t hold off By My Standards.
One of those three horses offer might be the best +2000 to +2500 bet. Spinoff won’t offer +2500 odds on Derby Day. If you like him, wager on him right now before you finish reading this article. His odds could drop into the single-digits because some professional horseplayers have already said he’s their Derby pick.
Does Long Range Toddy, Gray Magician, Country House, or Master Fencer have any shot at Derby Glory?
Yes and no. No based on what’s on paper. None of the four appears to be fast enough to win the Run for the Roses. But, this is the Kentucky Derby. Charismatic won the 1999 Kentucky Derby and paid $64.60 for $2 to win. Giacomo won the Derby in 2005 and paid $102.60 while Mine That Bird won it in 2009 and paid $103.20 for a $2 win wager.
So, no, based on past performances, Long Range Toddy, Gray Magician, Country House, and Master Fencer can’t win on the first Saturday in May. But, based on past history, sure, any one of them could!
Kentucky Derby 2019 Racing News
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Recap
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Exacta, Trifecta, and Superfecta Picks
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Strategies
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Guide
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Top 3 Horses to Bet On
- 2019 Triple Crown Preview: Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Dark Horses and Longshots
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Props
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds, TV Schedule, Entry List & Preview
- Early 2019 Kentucky Derby Odds & Picks
- Early Look at the 2019 Kentucky Derby
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Preps: Wood Memorial, Blue Grass Stakes, Santa Anita Derby
- 2018 Belmont Stakes Betting Preview, TV Schedule & Entry List
- Gambling Podcast – 2018 Kentucky Derby (Ep. 566)
- 2017 Breeder’s Cup Betting Preview & Expert Prediction
- Is The Kentucky Derby Winner To Repeat At The Preakness Stakes?
- 2017 Kentucky Derby Final Predictions And Picks