In a best-of-7 MLB series that’s tied 1-1, the winner of Game 3 usually takes the series. That’s what we on tap Tuesday afternoon from the Bronx as the New York Yankees host the Houston Astros in Game 3 of the ALCS. The Yankees haven’t been home dogs often this year but are on the MLB odds because Gerrit Cole is on the mound for the Astros.
How to Bet Astros vs Yankees ALCS Game 3 Odds & Info
- When: Tuesday, 4:05 PM ET
- Where: Yankee Stadium
- Probable pitchers (away/home): Gerrit Cole/Luis Severino
- TV: Fox Sports 1
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Opening MLB Lines: Houston Astros -160 (Total 7.5)
- Mostly Sunny: 17°C/63°F
- Humidity: 32%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 20%
- Wind: 3 mph SW
- Stadium Type: Open
Why Bet on Houston?
The Astros tied it up with a 3-2 win in 11 innings on Sunday at home. Carlos Correa hit a walk-off solo home run in the 11th inning. The former AL Rookie of the Year shortstop swatted a J.A. Happ offering over the right field wall leading off the bottom of the 11th. Correa was the one who got the scoring started, too, when his RBI double in the second inning gave the Astros an early lead. The 25-year-old is hitting just .185 with a .556 OPS this postseason.
George Springer hit his first home run of the postseason in Sunday’s win. The solo homer in the fifth inning knotted the game at 2-2, where it would stay until Correa’s walk-off solo homer. Springer the homer was his first in seven games this postseason — and also his first RBI — as he’s struggled at the dish against the Rays and now the Yanks. Through those seven games, the 30-year-old is hitting just .138 with a .435 OPS.
Josh Reddick will start ALCS Game 3 in right field for the Astros. It will be Reddick’s first start of the series, as Kyle Tucker started Game 1 and Jake Marisnick started Game 2. Reddick is just 1-for-10 at the plate so far this postseason.
It’s Gerrit Cole on the mound, and he has been stupid good so far this postseason. Cole pitched the Astros into the ALCS last Thursday, limiting the Rays to one run in eight innings and striking out 10 in a 6-1 victory. Eric Sogard managed a solo homer in the second, but the Rays never really threatened against Cole. They managed just one other hit and two walks. The game before that, Cole set a franchise playoff record with 15 strikeouts against the Rays in 7.2 shutout innings. Cole has 10-plus strikeouts in 11 consecutive starts.
In his last 22 starts, Cole is 18-0 with a 1.66 ERA. He has 251 strikeouts in 62 ⅓ innings, yielding a .125 batting average. “I can’t think of anyone I’d rather pitch in this game,’’ Astros second baseman Jose Altuve said. “Come on, who’s better? And he loves this kind of situation.’’
Cole faced the Yankees way back on April 9 in his third start of the season, which resulted in an Astros win. Cole went seven innings in his start, but the Yankees managed to get three runs off him.
- Runs: 5.59
- Hits: 9.40
- Walks: 3.92
- Strike Outs: 7.27
- Runs: 3.96
- Hits: 7.49
- Walks: 2.77
- Strike Outs: 10.35
Why Bet on NY Yankees?
Aaron Judge hit a two-run home run in Sunday’s ALCS Game 2 loss to the Astros. Judge didn’t really make his presence felt in a three-game sweep of the Twins in the ALDS, notching just three singles and walking four times in 14 plate appearances, but he announced his presence Sunday with a booming opposite-field, two-run blast off Astros starter Justin Verlander in the fourth inning. The homer was his first of the postseason and also accounted for his first two RBI this month. He’s hitting .333 with a .978 OPS in these playoffs.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone said Monday that Giancarlo Stanton hit in the cage on Sunday and things went “pretty well.” Stanton was held out of Game 2 due to a right quadriceps strain. It’s too soon to say when he might be able to return to the lineup. Taking him off the roster would make him ineligible to return if the club advances to the World Series.
It’s Luis Severino on the mound. Severino will make his eighth career postseason start. He did not record a decision in ALDS Game 3 win at Minnesota (4.0IP, 4H, 0ER, 2BB, 4K). Severino made just three regular season starts after returning from the 60-day injured list in September, going 1-1 with a 1.50 ERA (12.0IP, 6H, 2ER, 6BB, 17K, 0HR).
The ace pitcher faced the Astros twice in the 2017 ALCS, allowing four runs in 8 2/3 innings in two Yankees losses. Severino has admitted in the past that he’s let a charged environment and his own emotions get the best of him and believes he has overcome that issue.
“What I learned is sometimes you have to block everything outside and worry about the hitters,” Severino said. “Not worry about the noise from the fans or anything else. You have to worry about making good pitches. You go out there and have good games.’’
- Runs: 5.86
- Hits: 9.26
- Walks: 3.54
- Strike Outs: 8.89
- Runs: 4.49
- Hits: 8.45
- Walks: 3.13
- Strike Outs: 9.49
Astros vs Yankees ALCS Game 3 Betting Trends
- Astros are 7-0 in Cole’s last 7 road starts
- Yankees are 22-4 in Severino’s last 26 home starts
- Astros are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games against NY Yankees
- The total has gone UNDER in 11 of Houston’s last 15 games on the road
- Yankees are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 13 of NY Yankees’ last 18 games against an opponent in the American League West division
Expert Final Score Prediction for Astros vs Yankees
Houston Astros 4 – NY Yankees 2
More MLB Playoffs Betting News
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Jan. 13th Edition
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Jan. 6th Edition
- Latest MLB 2021 Betting News & Rumors Jan. 6th Edition
- Latest MLB 2020 Betting News & Rumors Dec. 30th Edition
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Dec. 30th Edition
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Dec. 23rd Edition
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Dec. 16th Edition
- MLB Rumors: Mets Add All-Star Catcher James McCann
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Dec. 9th Edition
- MLB Rumors: Reds Looking To Trade Ace Sonny Gray, Do Trade Closer
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Dic. 2nd Edition
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) MLB Update – Nov. 25th Edition
- MLB Rumors: Rangers Likely To Trade Lance Lynn
- MLB Rumors: Yankees May Trade Former All-Star Gary Sanchez