Braves Are Favorites inthe MLB Spread for Thursday Night vs. Padres
The Atlanta Braves have been one of the most surprising teams in all of baseball this season and sit in first place in the NL East as we move closer to the midway point of the 2018 MLB regular season. Whether Atlanta can keep up their impressive play over the long haul remains to be seen, but right now, they sure look legitimate, just as the MLB spread indicates.
Having said that, the Braves could have their hands full when they take on a San Diego Padres ballclub that is playing their best baseball of the season coming into the opener of their four-game set on Thursday night. If you want to know which team is offering the best MLB betting value in this matchup of longtime NL rivals, let’s find out right now.
San Diego (32-37) at Atlanta (39-28) MLB Spread & Prediction
- When: Thursday, June 14, 2018, 7:35 PM ET
- Where: SunTrust Park, Atlanta, GA
- TV: FSSE, FSSD
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Atlanta Braves -145 / San Diego Padres +125 (Over/Under at 8.5)
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: San Diego Padres 3.80 / Atlanta Braves 4.90
- Hits: San Diego Padres 7.70 / Atlanta Braves 9.00
- Walks: San Diego Padres 3.80 / Atlanta Braves 2.40
- Strike Outs: San Diego Padres 9.00 / Atlanta Braves 7.10
- San Diego Padres: Tyson Ross – R – (5-3, 3.55)
- Atlanta Braves: Anibal Sanchez – R – (2-0, 2.37)
Why Bet The San Diego Padres?
Why should you consider betting on San Diego in this Thursday night matchup? There are a few good reasons to back the Padres in this one. First, San Diego is playing well right now, having won two straight and four of their last five games overall. Then, there’s the fact that the Padres have been pretty good in going 15-16 on the road this season, a mark that surpasses their home winning percentage.
Last but not least, San Diego has a good starting pitcher on the mound they keep winning behind. The Padres have won each of right-hander Tyson Ross’ last six starts even though he hasn’t made it through the sixth inning in any of his last three starts. In 76.0 innings this season, Ross has 78 Ks and 28 walks with a solid win-loss record and ERA.
Why Bet the Atlanta Braves?
Why should you consider backing the Braves in this one? Well, there are several good reasons to back Atlanta as well. First, the Braves have gone 18-12 at home. Next, there’s the fact that Atlanta is also playing good baseball right now, having won two straight and three of their last four games overall. The, there’s the fact that Atlanta has scored five runs or more in winning four of their last seven games while scoring eight or more twice along the way.
There’s also the fact that Atlanta has been elite both, at the plate, where they rank fourth in scoring (4.96 RPG), fourth in team batting average, fourth in OPS and 13th in home runs and on the mound where they rank eighth in team ERA (3.58).
Last but not least, the Braves have a good starting pitcher going for them in veteran Anibal Sanchez. While the right-hander has allowed at least one home run in each of his last two starts, he’s also limited the damage by pitching into the sixth inning in both outings. Sanchez has 26 Ks in 30.1 innings pitched this season.
Latest MLB Betting Trends
- San Diego is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing Atlanta
- San Diego is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of San Diego’s last 7 games
- Atlanta is 5-1 ATS in its last 6 games at home
- Atlanta is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games at home
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Atlanta’s last 5 games
- Ross is 0-1 when starting against Atlanta with an ERA of 3.00 and a WHIP of 1.500
- Sanchez is 0-2 when starting against San Diego with an ERA of 2.76 and a WHIP of 1.227
Expert Analysis & Score Prediction
It’s nice that San Diego is playing well right now, but the smart money in this one is on Atlanta, seeing as how they’re playing at home and are statistically better than the Padres, both on the mound and at the plate.
The Padres are an awful 17-35 in their last 52 series openers and 1-5 in their last six Thursday games, although it should be noted that they are also 4-0 in Tyson Ross’ last four road starts. With the Braves going 7-0 in their last seven games against a right-handed starter, 6-0 in their last six Thursday games and a near perfect 5-1 in their last six home games, I say keep it simple people and back Atlanta for the win!
Score: Atlanta Braves 4 – San Diego Padres 3