It’s been almost 70 years to the day for the Cubs and their MLB betting fans since the Chicago Cubs received their curse from a fan named William “Billy Goat” Sianis. He came to Game 4 of the World Series on October 6, 1945, at Wrigley Field, along with Murphy, his pet goat. However, the stadium personnel would not let Sianis in with his furry friend, allegedly because of the bad smell of the goat.
Sianis, the tale goes, got angry and declared, “The Cubs ain’t gonna win no more.” And they haven’t. There have been no pennants, no trips to the World Series, and only six playoff excursions since then.
Each time that it has looked like the curse was over, something awful has happened. The Cubs now look like they are headed to the playoffs for the first time since 2008, heading for a presumptive wild card game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Their fans are responding in kind, trying their hardest to put this curse to bed.
A couple of Mondays ago, Tim “Gravy” Brown, a competitive eater in Chicago, was out and about with another pro eater when they had the idea of eating a goat to counteract the curse. So they talked to Takeru Kobayashi, a six-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Conest winner, and “Deep Dish” Bertoletti. Initially, they couldn’t find a restaurant or bar near Wrigley to host the event, but they did convince the owners of Taco in a Bag to give them a venue for eating a 40-pound goat in no more than 10 minutes. They didn’t quite finish in the ten-minute goal. Instead, it took them about 12 minutes. However, they got rid of every bit of goat that wasn’t bone. Did the curse disappear? We’ll wait to see. Things are looking good; the other night, the Cubs had a historic win against the Milwaukee Brewers.
Jake Arrieta struck out 11 in a complete-game shutout and became the first 20-game winner in MLB this year. Kris Bryant crushed a home run to give him 26 – a record for a Cubs’ rookie. Maybe it’s time for the Pirates to start worrying. After all, the Cubs have been a team of momentum all year long. The ironic thing is that the Pirates and Cubs have a good enough record to win just about any other division besides the one they’re in, lodged behind the St. Louis Cardinals. The postseason should be interesting, to be sure.
Look, let’s get real for a second. I’m as big of a baseball fan as anybody else who truly loves this sport and since I was a little kid I was always thought to respect and love the Cubs even though I’m a Yankees fan at heart. I still remember the Bartman incident, and I still haven’t forgiven Steve Bartman for it, but you know what, it’s time to get past all the curses, jokes and everything. It’s time to back the Cubs and help them make that push to the World Series. At the end of the day, we all want to see the Cubs win a World Series, and if you don’t then you have no heart.
Sports & Betting Topics
- Early MLB Betting Predictions for 2019 Regular Season
- Early 2019 World Series Odds & Predictions
- Red Sox vs Dodgers World Series Game 5 Odds & Preview
- Red Sox vs Dodgers World Series Game 4 Odds & Preview
- Red Sox vs Dodgers 2018 World Series Game 3 Odds & Prediction
- Dodgers vs Red Sox 2018 World Series Game 2 Odds & Pick
- Updated 2018 World Series Odds – October 22nd Edition
- Dodgers vs Red Sox 2018 World Series Game 1 Odds & Prediction
- Dodgers vs Brewers NLCS Game 7 Odds & Prediction
- Dodgers vs Brewers NLCS Game 6 Odds & Expert Prediction
- Red Sox vs Astros ALCS Game 5 Odds & Game Info
- Red Sox vs Astros ALCS Game 4 Odds & Prediction
- Brewers vs Dodgers NLCS Game 5 Odds & Preview
- Red Sox vs Astros ALCS Game 3 Odds & Expert Pick
- Brewers vs Dodgers NLCS Game 4 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Brewers vs Dodgers NLCS Game 3 Odds & Expert Prediction
- Astros vs Red Sox ALCS Game 2 Odds & Preview
- Dodgers vs Brewers NLCS Game 2 Odds & Prediction
- Astros vs Red Sox ALCS Game 1 Odds & Betting Pick
- Dodgers at Brewers NLCS Game 1 Odds & Expert Pick
- Red Sox vs Yankees ALDS Game 4 Odds & Prediction
- Astros at Indians ALDS Game 3 Betting Lines & Pick
- Red Sox vs Yankees ALDS Game 3 Odds & Expert Prediction
- Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS Game 2 Odds & Betting Analysis
- Dodgers vs Braves NLDS Game 3 Odds, Prediction & Pick
- Brewers vs Rockies NLDS Game 3 Lines & Expert Preview
- Indians vs Astros ALDS Game 2 Odds & Prediction
- Yankees vs Red Sox ALDS Game 1 Odds & Prediction
- Rockies at Brewers NLDS Game 2 Odds & Preview
- Braves vs Dodgers NLDS Game 2 Lines & Prediction