Dodgers Come In as MLB Betting Underdogs Against Diamondbacks
Every single season in the MLB, it seems as though there is one division that is more competitive than all the rest. Last year, that distinction went to the NL West, with no less than three teams making it to the postseason from that division. It has been the LA Dodgers who have dominated the West for a few years now, thanks in large part to their ability to spend more than just about any other team in the league. Despite their dominance and access to the best talent, they are not the top MLB betting favorite in the odds to win it the World Series.
Yes, they made it to the World Series last year but ended up coming up short against the Houston Astros. The assumption was that they would tear through the regular season again this year, but if the early going is anything to judge by, it’s going to be a tough road for the Dodgers. It is the Arizona Diamondbacks who have made the best start in the West, and they will be looking to open up an even bigger lead over the Dodger with a win in the Thursday matinee.
Los Angeles at Arizona MLB Betting Preview
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) 3 de mayo de 2018
- When: Thursday, May 3 at 3:40 PM EST
- Where: Chase Field, Phoenix
- Starting Pitchers: Alex Wood vs. Patrick Corbin
- TV: FB-WATCH
- Radio: Los Angeles 570 AM / Arizona KHOV 105.1
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Betting Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -150 (Over & Under at 7)
- Clear: 22°C/81°F
- Humidity: 16%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 0%
- Wind: 6 mph WNW
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: Los Angeles Dodgers 3.60 / Arizona Diamondbacks 5.00
- Hits: Los Angeles Dodgers 7.50 / Arizona Diamondbacks 8.50
- Walks: Los Angeles Dodgers 4.20 / Arizona Diamondbacks 3.30
- Strike Outs: Los Angeles Dodgers 8.60 / Arizona Diamondbacks 9.80
Why bet on the LA Dodgers?
What is going on with the LA Dodgers? When they stumbled out of the gate, we all sat back and waited for them to quickly right the ship, but 30 games into the season it is yet to happen. The Dodgers are a very surprising 13-17 to start the season and now find themselves 8 games back of the division-leading Arizona Diamondbacks. The Dodgers have not flashed a lot of power in the early going, with Yasmani Grandal in as their current home run leader with just 4 dingers.
They are also not getting what they expected from their starting rotation, and are down near the middle of the pack in team ERA. This team is just 9-13 against division foes and will need to improve that quickly to get back in the hunt. Alex Wood (0-3, 4.11 ERA) will start for the Dodgers.
Why bet on the Arizona Diamondbacks?
The Arizona Diamondbacks have feasted on their division rivals in the early going, getting out to a 15-6 start against that group, taking their overall record to a very impressive 21-9. There is no real secret to the success of this team right now, as you need only look at what they are getting from their starting rotation, who have delivered 19 quality starts in 30 games, good for 3rd in the MLB.
You have to love what they are seeing from A.J. Pollock as well, as he has already hit 30 balls out of the park and driven home 25 runs. At the very least, the D-Backs are going to get a split from this series, as they have won 2 of the first 3 games. Their 11-4 home record suggests there may be an even better outcome. It will be Patrick Corbin (4-0, 2.25 ERA) who gets the nod here.
Latest MLB Betting Trends
- LA Dodgers is 1-4 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
- LA Dodgers is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of LA Dodgers’s last 6 games when playing Arizona
- Arizona is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Arizona is 8-3 SU in its last 11 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Arizona’s last 5 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
Corbin has made 6 starts for Arizona this season, with the Diamondbacks winning all but one of those games. I like them to get another victory and a series win in this one.
Score: LA Dodgers 3 – Arizona Diamondbacks 5