Every player on every team in the MLB will go through a spell during the season whether they are unable to get a hit or strike an opponent out, depending on the position they play. This is a natural part of being a ballplayer, but what is amazing is how often we see numerous players on a team hit a slump, all at the same time. Most teams can easily survive one-hitter going cold, but when 4 or 5 players in the line-up can’t get a hit, then it’s usually a sign that a team is going to struggle for an extended period of time.
The Pittsburgh Pirates are a team that has seemingly had trouble getting hits and runs all season long, yet they continue to hang around in the division because they are getting some great pitching and defense. Thursday night will see them head to San Diego for a weekend series versus the Padres, a team coming into this one on a bit of a slump of their own. The Padres are favored by 1 ½, with the run total set at 7 ½ for this game.
Pirates vs Padres MLB Week 7 Betting Lines & Analysis
- When: Thursday, May 16 at 10:10 PM EST
- Where: Petco Park, San Diego
- Starting Pitchers: Williams vs. Lauer
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: 97.3 The Fan
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: San Diego Padres -120 (Total 7.5)
Why bet on the Pittsburgh Pirates?The Pirates made a very solid start to the season, but their inability to consistently drive home runs finally caught up to them in a big way. They have not suddenly turned into an offensive force overnight, but they have once again seemingly found ways to get back to winning close games. The Pirates are 6-4 over the last 10 games, which has allowed them to remain 2 games over .500 on the season.
That leaves them down in 4th in the Central Division, although just 4 games out of the lead. This will be their 8th straight game on the road, and the Pirates are coming into this one having gone a respectable 4-3 SU in those previous 7 games. They are now 12-10 SU in all road games this season and are 11-8 ATS as a road dog. The Pirates will send Trevor Williams (2-1, 3.40 ERA) will be on the mound for Pittsburgh.
- Runs: 3.70
- Hits: 8.28
- Walks: 2.80
- Strike Outs: 8.68
- Runs: 4.88
- Hits: 8.32
- Walks: 3.38
- Strike Outs: 8.90
Why bet on the San Diego Padres?The San Diego Padres are a lot like the Pirates in that they are amongst the lowest scorers in the National League, as well as being among the best on the defensive side of things. They are in a little more trouble than the Pirates, though, in terms of division standings, as they are currently sitting 6 games back of the NL West-leading LA Dodgers.
The Padres did not help their cause, losing back to back games to the Dodgers ahead of this series, which means that they have now lost 3 in a row and 4 of their last 5 games. With this poor run of form, the Padres have now slipped below the .500 mark at home, going 10-11 on the season. They are also just 5-10 ATS as a home favorite. It will be Eric Lauer (2-4, 5.75 ERA) who gets the ball in this one.
- Runs: 3.84
- Hits: 7.53
- Walks: 2.42
- Strike Outs: 9.65
- Runs: 4.21
- Hits: 8.09
- Walks: 2.67
- Strike Outs: 8.95
Pirates vs Padres MLB Week 7 Betting Trends
- Pirates are 6-3 SU in their last 9 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 9 of Pittsburgh’s last 13 games when playing on the road against San Diego
- Padres are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games against an opponent in the National League
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of San Diego’s last 15 games at home
- Pirates are 14-36 against the money line in road games against left-handed starters over the last 3 seasons
- Padres are 17-8 against the money line after getting shut out over the last 3 seasons
- Williams is 0-1 when starting against SAN DIEGO with an ERA of 6.75 and a WHIP of 0.937
- Lauer is 0-1 when starting against PITTSBURGH with an ERA of 6.51 and a WHIP of 1.861
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Pirates vs PadresGiven the anemic offense on both teams, I am leaning heavily towards the UNDER here. As far as picking a winner goes, I am taking the Pirates to get the win and cover.
Score: Pittsburgh Pirates 4 – San Diego Padres 2