Can Rays Upset the Angels it the MLB Lines for Thursday Night?
While it’s still very early in the season and a lot can change between now and the start of the playoffs, it’s fair to suggest that the American League looks quite clear-cut. There are, as it stands right now, 6 teams who are going to be battling it out for the 5 available spots. Things are a little different over in the National League, where it’s about as tight as it gets. One of the teams making some early noise at the MLB lines week after week is the LA Angels, and they really need to be off to a fast start, especially when playing in the same division as the defending champion Houston Astros.
It has been nip and tuck between these two teams through the first couple of months of the season, with both teams sharing time at the top of the standings. The Angels are sitting off the pace right now, but have a shot to get back in it with a weekend series against the struggling and MLB odds underdog Tampa Bay Rays. The opening game of this series is set for Thursday night in Anaheim.
Tampa Bay at Los Angeles MLB Lines & Betting Pick
— Angels (@Angels) 17 de mayo de 2018
- When: Thursday, May 17 at 10:07 PM EST
- Where: Angel Stadium, Anaheim
- Starting Pitchers: Chris Archer vs. Tyler Skaggs
- TV: Fox Sports
- Radio: Tampa Bay 95.3 FM / Los Angeles KWKW 1130
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Lines: Los Angeles Angels -165 (Over/Under at 4)
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: Tampa Bay Rays 3.00/ Los Angeles Angels 4.20
- Hits: Tampa Bay Rays 8.10 / Los Angeles Angels 7.80
- Walks: Tampa Bay Rays 2.50 / Los Angeles Angels 3.80
- Strike Outs: Tampa Bay Rays 9.30 / Los Angeles Angels 6.80
Why Consider the MLB Lines for the Rays?
The Tampa Bay Rays drew the ire of former player Evan Longoria, who suggested that the Rays might be better off in another city. This is a move that certainly appears to be on the table, as the team that won 80 games last years has essentially been shredded in favor of yet another rebuilding effort. It doesn’t help that the Rays are in an AL East division that is being totally dominated by the Red Sox and Yankees, and probably will be for the foreseeable future.
The Rays are 3 games below .500 and already 9 ½ games off the pace in the division, although they are on a decent little run at the moment after sweeping the equally woeful Kansas City Royals this week. Tampa Bay will send Chris Archer (2-3, 5.64 ERA) to the mound for this one.
- Runs: 4.27
- Hits: 8.98
- Walks: 3.20
- Strike Outs: 8.41
- Runs: 4.73
- Hits: 8.29
- Walks: 3.00
- Strike Outs: 8.17
Why Consider the MLB Lines for the Angels?
The LA Angels are doing a good job of hanging with the Astros in the early going, but they are beginning to lose a little ground after going just 5-5 in their last 10 games. It certainly didn’t help that they just lost 2 of 3 to the Astros, managing just 5 runs in those 3 games. The Angels are still in really good shape, though, and the arrival of Shohei Ohtani has helped take some of the pressure off the shoulders of Mike Trout.
This is not to suggest that Trout is not doing his usual stellar job, as he most certainly is, already hammering 12 balls out of the park this season. If the Angels can get just a little more out of their pitching staff, this could be a season to remember. Speaking of pitching, it will be Tyler Skaggs (3-2, 3.07 ERA) who will be on the mound for this one.
- Runs: 4.81
- Hits: 8.95
- Walks: 3.19
- Strike Outs: 7.74
- Runs: 4.09
- Hits: 8.23
- Walks: 3.67
- Strike Outs: 9.33
Latest MLB Betting Trends
- Tampa Bay is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
- Tampa Bay is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay’s last 6 games when playing on the road against LA Angels
- Angels are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 games
- Angels are 2-4 SU in their last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of LA Angels’ last 5 games
- Archer is 5-1 when starting against LA Angels with an ERA of 2.55 and a WHIP of 1.252
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The Angels need to pick themselves up after a disappointing series loss to the Astros, and a series against the Rays might just be the perfect tonic.
Score: Tampa Bay Rays 3 – Los Angeles Angels 5