MLB Spread Preview on St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets
Teams that do well tend to know what their identity is very early in the season. The New York Mets are a surprise leader atop the NL East, and they are there because of a stellar home record. On the other hand the St. Louis Cardinals have one of the best records in baseball, which they have achieved by having great pitching and a solid defense. These two teams are in the middle of a 4-game series, with the third match-up set for Wednesday night in New York. So let’s take a look at the MLB odds and analyze the betting angle for these two teams heading to Wednesday night game.
MLB Spread Preview on St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets & Game Info
Date/Time: Wednesday, May 20th, 7:10 PM
Location: Citi Field, Flushing, New York
Radio: WEPN 1050, 710 WOR
Runline: Cardinals -1½
The Mets (23-16) have seen their lead atop the division reduced to a single game, as the Washington Nationals have finally started putting things together. It didn’t help that the Mets went on a slide while all this was happening, but it’s a funk that they now appear to have completely snapped out of. They have now won 3 games in a row, and have only given up a total of 3 runs during that stretch. New York has had some great starts from their pitching staff all season, but those last three outings really were something to behold. 9 of their next 12 games are at home, where they have compiled a 16-4 record, so they really have a chance to get things right back on track in a serious way. Bartolo Colon (6-2, 3.86 ERA) will get the start on Wednesday, and will be looking to make amends for his last outing when he gave up 5 earned runs in a loss to the Brewers.
The St. Louis Cardinals (25-13) have been the cream of the National League in the early part of the season, but things have not been so great as of late. They are just 4-6 in their last 10 games, allowing the hard charging Cubs to make up some ground in the division. The Cardinals have seen their offensive output start to dry up, and have only managed a total of 12 runs in their last 6 games. The fact that they were only blown out in one of those games is a sign that the pitching staff and defense is continuing to do its thing. The feeling here is that this is just a minor bump in the road, and that normal service will resume, sooner rather than later. Carlos Martinez (3-2, 4.73 ERA) will take to the hill on Wednesday night. Martinez has lost each of his last 2 starts after making a solid start to the season.
Key Betting Trends
St. Louis Cardinals
- St. Louis is 14-7 SU in its last 21 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of St. Louis’s last 7 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of St. Louis’s last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of St. Louis’s last 11 games when playing NY Mets
- St. Louis is 2-4 SU in its last 6 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of St. Louis’s last 8 games when playing on the road against NY Mets
New York Mets
- NY Mets is 3-6 SU in its last 9 games
- NY Mets is 18-5 SU in its last 23 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of NY Mets’s last 10 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of NY Mets’s last 11 games when playing St. Louis
- NY Mets is 4-2 SU in its last 6 games when playing at home against St. Louis
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of NY Mets’s last 8 games when playing at home against St. Louis
If Colon can continue to pitch the way he has been all season, the Mets may well be able to take advantage of the slumping bats of the Cards. This should be a low scoring game, and one where I believe the Mets will come out on top.