New Orleans vs. Portland NBA Betting Preview & Game 2 Prediction
One of the mistakes that we make as NBA betting enthusiasts when the postseason begins is putting too much stock into what went down in the regular season. You can look at the season as a whole and completely miss the runs that teams went on to end the year. How often have you seen a team finish the season on a roll and have that carry on over into the postseason? That is exactly how the New Orleans Pelicans closed things out, winning 5 in a row at a time when the playoff spots in the Western Conference were still very much up in the air.
Essentially, the Pelicans have been playing playoff type basketball for the last couple of weeks, so perhaps we shouldn’t be that surprised that they were able to come and upset the NBA odds in Game 1 of their opening-round series against the Portland Trail Blazers. The pressure is now on Portland to tie the series up before the games shift to New Orleans later in the week.
Pelicans at Trail Blazers NBA Betting Preview & Game Prediction
— New Orleans Pelicans (@PelicansNBA) 17 de abril de 2018
- When: Tuesday, April 17 at 10:30 PM EST
- Where: Moda Center, Portland
- TV: NBATV
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Odds: Portland Trail Blazers -280 (Over/Under at 214 points)
- All: New Orleans Pelicans 49.34 / Portland Trail Blazers 49.34
- Home: New Orleans Pelicans 24-17 / Portland Trail Blazers 28-14
- Away: New Orleans Pelicans 25-17 / Portland Trail Blazers 21-20
- ATS: New Orleans Pelicans 46-36-1 / Portland Trail Blazers 45-32-6
- Over/Under: New Orleans Pelicans 47-35-1 / Portland Trail Blazers 35-48
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: New Orleans Pelicans lead 6-4
- Score: New Orleans Pelicans 106.70 / Portland Trail Blazers 104.80
- Field Goal Percentage: New Orleans Pelicans 41.77 / Portland Trail Blazers 48.26
- Rebounds: New Orleans Pelicans 49.10 / Portland Trail Blazers 43.20
- 3 Point Shots: New Orleans Pelicans 112-332 / Portland Trail Blazers 89-241
- Steals: New Orleans Pelicans 6.70 / Portland Trail Blazers 6.70
Why bet on the New Orleans Pelicans?
The Pelicans pulled out the 97-95 win in Game 1 of this series, but it was very much a case of holding on for dear life in the second half. The Pelicans were dominant in the opening half, going into the break with a 45-36 lead. They had to withhold a bit of a storm in the second half, particularly in the fourth quarter, where the Trail Blazers outscored them 32-22. As was the case for most of the regular season, it was Anthony Davis who did all the heavy lifting for the Pelicans, scoring 35 points in a winning cause.
While there was little to separate these two teams in the Game 1 stats, the one area where they were really different was in FG%, with the Pelicans shooting close to 48% as compared to the almost 38% that the Trail Blazers delivered. That may be a trend that they need to continue if they are to go on and win this series.
Total Score: 111.54
Field Goal Percentage: 48.38
Three-Point Percentage: 36.25
Free Throw Percentage: 77.11
Total Rebounds: 44.34
Total Score: 110.23
Field Goal Percentage: 45.33
Three-Point Percentage: 35.48
Free Throw Percentage: 78.42
Total Rebounds: 45.52
Why bet on the Portland Trail Blazers?
While it may have been a little bit of a surprise to see the Trail Blazers lose the opening game in their own building, there were some signs that it may have been coming. This is a team that went just 5-5 in their final 10 games of the season, which is not the sort of form you want to be in heading into the playoffs. It’s also worth remembering that these two teams split their 4-game regular season series this season, with the Pelicans picking up a win in Portland during that run.
The Trail Blazers did go 28-13 at home during the regular season, so it’s hard to imagine that they would lose two in a row in their own building to start the playoffs.
Total Score: 105.49
Field Goal Percentage: 45.08
Three-Point Percentage: 36.53
Free Throw Percentage: 79.97
Total Rebounds: 45.53
Total Score: 102.95
Field Goal Percentage: 44.72
Three-Point Percentage: 36.40
Free Throw Percentage: 75.51
Total Rebounds: 42.98
Latest NBA Betting Trends for Playoffs Game 2
- New Orleans is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
- New Orleans is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of New Orleans’s last 6 games
- Portland is 2-4-1 ATS in its last 7 games
- Portland is 17-8 SU in its last 25 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Portland’s last 10 games when playing at home against New Orleans
Expert NBA Betting Pick & Score Prediction
You can’t really classify this as a must-win game for the Trail Blazers but losing both of their home games would put them in a very tough spot indeed. I expect another close on, and I like Portland to even the series.
Score: New Orleans Pelicans 102 – Portland Trail Blazers 104