Raptors Are Clear Favorites at the NBA Spread Against Wizards
We have now made it through all the first games of the NBA Playoffs opening round, and besides a couple of minor surprises, the results went pretty much as expected. Winning your opening game, especially when starting out on home court, is always a relief, but the winners will also remember that it takes 4 games to win a series and move on to the next round. No-one gets too excited about that first win, but you could certainly excuse the NBA spread favorites Toronto Raptors fan base for celebrating a little, as those opening games have been Kryptonite for them down the years.
Winning Game 1 of this series is going to feel like getting a monkey off the back for Toronto, but you can bet that they will also be well aware that the #8 seeded and NBA odds underdog Washington Wizards very much made a game of things for a large portion of the opener. Toronto will want to get out and establish home court superiority much earlier when Game 2 of the Eastern Conference first-round series goes on Tuesday night.
Washington at Toronto NBA Spread & Expert Pick
— Washington Wizards (@WashWizards) 17 de abril de 2018
- When: Tuesday, April 17 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Air Canada Centre, Toronto
- TV: NBATV
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: NBA League Pass
- NBA Spread: Toronto Raptors -6.5 (Over/Under at 214.5)
- All: Washington Wizards 43-40 / Toronto Raptors 60-23
- Home: Washington Wizards 23-18 / Toronto Raptors 35-7
- Away: Washington Wizards 20-22 / Toronto Raptors 25-16
- ATS: Washington Wizards 37-45-1 / Toronto Raptors 44-38-1
- Over/Under: Washington Wizards 38-44-1 / Toronto Raptors 41-40-2
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Record: Toronto Raptors lead 7-3
- Score: Washington Wizards 99.70 / Toronto Raptors 103.70
- Field Goal Percentage: Washington Wizards 45.52 / Toronto Raptors 44.74
- Rebounds: Washington Wizards 43.20 / Toronto Raptors 41.90
- 3 Point Shots: Washington Wizards 87-262 / Toronto Raptors 83-223
- Steals: Washington Wizards 7.90 / Toronto Raptors 7.20
Why bet on the Washington Wizards?
The Wizards will certainly not be pleased that they lost the series opener 114-106, but they should take some comfort from the fact that they were in that game all the way to the final quarter. In fact, the Wizards had a 4-point lead at the half, and but for an explosive offensive outburst later in the game against the Raptors, this thing may have been a whole lot closer. The Wizards can also look to the regular season when looking for some sort of hope of taking Game 2.
Washington played twice in Toronto earlier in the season, splitting those two games. If they can get the same result here, they will head back home for Game 3 having stolen back home court advantage. The Wizards will once again look to John Wall for inspiration, as the big man had 23 points in Game 1, a little above his 19.4 PPG season average.
- Total Score: 106.61
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.71
- Three-Point Percentage: 37.48
- Free Throw Percentage: 77.16
- Total Rebounds: 43.05
- Total Score: 106.02
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.24
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.89
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.07
- Total Rebounds: 42.44
Why bet on the Toronto Raptors?
If you watched the opening game of the series, you could probably feel the tension coming out of the TV screen when the Raptors went in at the half down by 4. This is a team that has made a habit of gassing the opening game of a series, which is probably why so many bettors are steering clear of Toronto this postseason, despite the fact that they won the Eastern Conference quite handily.
The takeaway from game 1 is that the starters for these two teams are pretty evenly matched. It was only when the Raptors bench players took the court that the tide really started to turn. Delon Wright was one of the big difference makers, coming off the bench to score 18 points, 11 of which he drained in the final quarter of the game.
- Total Score: 111.66
- Field Goal Percentage: 47.20
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.76
- Free Throw Percentage: 79.44
- Total Rebounds: 43.98
- Total Score: 103.89
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.89
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.74
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.67
- Total Rebounds: 42.40
Latest NBA Playoffs Betting Trends
- Toronto is 7-5 against the spread versus Washington over the last 3 seasons
- Toronto is 9-3 straight up against Washington over the last 3 seasons
- Washington is 68-50 ATS revenging a loss vs. opponent over the last 3 seasons
- 8 of 12 games in this series have gone Under the Total over the last 3 seasons
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The Raptors bench has been strong all season long, which leads you to believe that the Wizards will really need to open up early in Game 2 to establish a lead. Unfortunately for the Wizards, I believe we are looking at the same outcome as in the series opener, which means the Raptors will cover the NBA spread for this one.
Score: Washington Wizards 102 – Toronto Raptors 110