The NBA, one of the four biggest professional sports leagues of North America, has undergone many transformations since it was founded on June 6, 1946 in New York City. Part of the many changes in the league is the issue of teams relocating from one city to another due to reasons like poor game attendances, lack of profitability for franchise owners, management changes, and poor accessibility for visiting teams –all which affect NBA betting results. In fact, going by the potential benefits of relocating to new locations (including strong fan bases, good profits and “better” competition), moving from one place to another has been a popular trend in the league over the recent years.But even such benefits, some teams have been very resolute about maintaining their current locations. Specifically speaking, the following 14 (of the current 30) teams in the NBA have remained unmoved from the locations where they were founded:• Boston Celtics (founded in 1946)• Chicago Bulls (founded in 1966)• Cleveland Cavaliers (founded in 1970)• Dallas Mavericks (founded in 1980)• Denver Nuggets (founded in 1967, formerly the Denver Larks and Denver Rockets)• Indiana Pacers (founded in 1967 in the ABA)• Miami Heat (founded in 1988)• Milwaukee Bucks (founded in 1968)• Minnesota Timberwolves (founded in 1989)• New York Knicks (founded in 1946)• Orlando Magic (founded in 1989)• Phoenix Suns (founded in 1968)• Portland Trail Blazers (founded in 1970)• Toronto Raptors (founded in 1995)
In contrast, a total of 22 teams (some of which are now defunct) have relocated to different cities, with the most recent of those relocations being the movement of former Seattle Supersonics to Oklahoma City in 2008, leading to a change in their name to Oklahoma City Thunder.Interestingly, since the relocation by the Thunder (which was in favor of OKC’s new owner who lives in Oklahoma City), the team has made a lot of positive strides. For example, the league’s leading point scorers in the last two seasons (Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook) have come from OKC. Moreover, the Thunder have successively won the last four Northwest Division titles (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014), with five successive playoff appearances between 2009 and 2013, four conference semifinals appearances, three conference finals appearances, and an NBA Finals appearance in the 2011-2012 season (where they lost to Miami Heat).Evidently from the OKC’s transformation from a non-competitive team to one of the best teams in the league due to relocation, a solid case could be made about the chances of a team’s improvement due to the change of a locale. Keeping that point in mind, here are some NBA franchises that we believe could perform better if they do themselves a solid by relocating to new locations.
Sports & Betting Topics
Latest News, Tips & Expert Picks
- NBA Rumors: Nets-Lakers Highlights 2021 Christmas Day Schedule
- NBA Rumors: Kings Still Could Trade Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley III
- NBA Draft Rumors: Top 5 Picks Locked In Thursday?
- NBA Betting News & Rumors: Lakers Might Sign A 3rd Scoring Option
- Suns vs. Bucks Game 6 | Predictions Milwaukee Poised for NBA Title
- NBA Betting News & Rumors: Sixers Are Open to Offers for Simmons
- Suns vs. Bucks Game 4 Lines | Milwaukee Looks to Even NBA Finals
- NBA Rumors: Rockets set to trade John Wall?
- NBA Betting News & Rumors: Wizards May Trade Bradley Beal
- Bucks vs Suns Game 2: NBA Odds Overview | Suns Eye 2-0 Finals Lead
- NBA 2021 Draft Betting Predictions & Rumor Mill Update
- NBA Betting News & Rumors: Will Giannis Be Ready for the Finals?
- NBA Rumors | Will Kawhi Leonard return to Clippers next season?
- Hawks vs Bucks: NBA Odds and Preview | Will Giannis or Trae Play Game 5?
- Phoenix Suns vs. LA Clippers NBA Game 6 Bet Line | Sun Tries Again for NBA Finals Spot