It’s hard to believe that we are now just a week and a half away from the end of the college basketball regular season. It has been an exciting year, to be sure, and while there are a few teams that need to be considered legitimate favorites, there isn’t really one that jumps out as The team to beat, at least not now that Duke has lost Zion Williamson to injury. There are several teams that certainly fall into the dark horse category, with the Marquette Golden Eagles certainly in with that group. They have a legitimate shot at winning the Big East regular season conference crown and can all but tie that up with a win over the Villanova Wildcats on Wednesday.
The defending champions are not ending the regular season on a very positive note, but they still have a little bit of time to turn that around and put things right. Playing at home certainly helps, as they will be in as a 5 point favorite versus Marquette. The point total for this one is set at 142 ½.
Marquette vs Villanova NCAAB Odds, Preview & Expert Pick
- When: Wednesday, February 27 at 9 PM EST
- Where: Finneran Pavilion, Villanova
- TV: FS1
- Radio: TuneIn/NCAAB
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- NCAAB Odds: Villanova Wildcats -5 (Total 142.5)
Why bet on the Marquette Golden Eagles?
The Marquette come into this game holding a 1 ½ game lead over Villanova in the Big East, so a win in this game would almost certainly hand the Golden Eagles the regular season title. Marquette have moved all the way up to the #10 spot in the national rankings, which they have done by posting a very impressive 23-4 record. Their lead at the top of the Big East comes courtesy of a 12-2 record against their conference foes.
The Golden Eagles have won 11 of their last 12, with one of those wins being an incredibly tight 66-65 win over Villanova, with that one coming at home. Marquette have covered the spread in 8 of their last 10 and are 6-2 ATS on the road. It’s is worth remembering that all 3 of their season losses have come on the road.
- Total Score: 78.93
- Field Goal Percentage: 46.79
- Three-Point Percentage: 39.94
- Free Throw Percentage: 76.97
- Total Rebounds: 37.89
- Total Score: 68.63
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.36
- Three-Point Percentage: 32.39
- Free Throw Percentage: 68.25
- Total Rebounds: 33.00
Why bet on the Villanova Wildcats?
It wasn’t so very long ago that Villanova looked to be in control of their own destiny in regards winning the conference, but they have gone off the rails in a big way of late, losing 4 of their last 5 games, taking their overall record to 20-8. What is perhaps most alarming about their current run is that they have not been particularly competitive, losing their last 3 by an average margin of almost 10 PPG.
At 2-3 SU, they have struggled somewhat against ranked opponents, although they are still a healthy 12-2 SU at home. They have also won 8 of their last 10 meetings with Marquette, including all 5 played at home during that run. As a home favorite, Villanova is 7-6 ATS.
- Total Score: 74.89
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.35
- Three-Point Percentage: 35.25
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.24
- Total Rebounds: 35.36
- Total Score: 67.36
- Field Goal Percentage: 43.77
- Three-Point Percentage: 34.16
- Free Throw Percentage: 69.43
- Total Rebounds: 32.75
Marquette vs Villanova NCAAB Betting Trends
- Marquette is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games on the road
- Marquette is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 18 of Marquette’s last 25 games on the road
- Villanova is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games at home
- Villanova is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 10 of Villanova’s last 13 games at home
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The earlier meeting between these two this season could not have been any closer, with the Golden Eagles winning by a single point. I expect another close one here, and while I like Villanova to win, I think Marquette will cover.
Score: Marquette Golden Eagles 72 – Villanova Wildcats 74