This has been one of the more unpredictable seasons in recent memory on college basketball, with the top 25 rankings undergoing some dramatic changes week after week. If you are anything like me, you will already have lost count of how many different teams we have seen hold the #1 spot over the course of the season. The list of unbeaten teams is down to just one, with San Diego State the only Division I team still clinging to a perfect record. With the battle for supremacy so tight, a single loss can send a team plummeting down the rankings pretty quickly, especially now that we are into the much tougher conference schedule.
The Auburn Tigers were one of the teams who saw their stock fall dramatically when the latest rankings were released, so they need to find a way to get back on track and start climbing again. They will be at home on Wednesday night to face the South Carolina Gamecocks in an SEC Conference matchup. This is a game that you would expect Auburn to win, with the bookies installing them as an 11-point favorite. The point total for this one is set at 147.
South Carolina vs Auburn 2020 College Basketball Betting Odds & Preview
- When: Wednesday, January 22 at 7 PM EST
- Where: Auburn Arena, Auburn
- TV: ESPNU
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: WatchESPN
- College Basketball Betting Odds: Auburn Tigers -11 (Total 147)
Why bet on the South Carolina Gamecocks?Just when it looked as though the South Carolina Gamecocks were getting ready to sink without a trace, they have returned to form and are showing some signs of life. They come into this one having won back to back games to get to 10-7 on the season and 2-2 in conference play. While their record is not perhaps the greatest, where this team has excelled is when going against ranked opponents.
The Gamecocks are a perfect 2-0 against ranked teams this season, taking out Virginia earlier this season and Kentucky just last week. They may be ready to take another scalp against a ranked Auburn team that is struggling right now. They are also a perfect 6-0 ATS in their last 6 road games and 5-2 ATS in their last 7 overall.
- Total Score: 69.88
- Field Goal Percentage: 42.72
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.87
- Free Throw Percentage: 61.27
- Total Rebounds: 37.47
- Total Score: 66.12
- Field Goal Percentage: 38.44
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.36
- Free Throw Percentage: 72.67
- Total Rebounds: 34.47
Why bet on the Auburn Tigers?The Auburn Tigers headed into last week as one of only two Division I teams with an unbeaten record, but it all came crumbling down rather quickly. They took back to back losses to Alabama and Florida to drop 12 places in the national rankings, all the way down to #16. In conference play, the Tigers are now sitting at 3-2, so they are probably more than a little happy to be heading back home this week, with both of those losses last week coming on the road.
The Tigers are on a run that has seen them win each of their last 12 games at home, which should put them in a good place here. The bad news is that they have not been a great bet against the spread of late, going just 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games overall.
- Total Score: 78.94
- Field Goal Percentage: 44.58
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.89
- Free Throw Percentage: 65.37
- Total Rebounds: 41.24
- Total Score: 67.41
- Field Goal Percentage: 40.82
- Three-Point Percentage: 30.97
- Free Throw Percentage: 68.52
- Total Rebounds: 35.76
South Carolina vs Auburn 2020 College Basketball Betting Trends
- Gamecocks are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games against Auburn
- Gamecocks are 6-0 ATS in their last 6 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of South Carolina’s last 8 games played in January
- Tigers are 12-0 SU in their last 12 games at home
- Tigers are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games played on a Wednesday
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Auburn’s last 12 games this season
Expert Pick & Final Score PredictionThe Auburn Tigers desperately need a win to halt their precipitous slide down the rankings, and with this one coming at home, you would certainly like them to get back on track. That said, I would not be surprised to see the Gamecocks cover the spread here.
Score: South Carolina Gamecocks 67 – Auburn Tigers 75