The length of time between the college football championship games and the start of the playoffs can feel very long indeed, especially for fans of the teams headed to the final 4. The good news is that there are a ton of games to be played over the next few weeks, as we are now heading right into bowl season. It all gets started this coming Saturday, December 16, with the AutoNation Cure Bowl betting action. The early games in bowl season tend to feature some teams that a lot of college football fans may not be particularly familiar with, as well as match-ups that we don’t get to see very often. Making selections on these games can be a little tougher, but there is more than enough info out there to help us, bettors, make informed decisions.
We will be covering as many of the upcoming bowl games as possible and will get things rolling with the AutoNation Cure Bowl, which will be held in Orlando this coming Saturday. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers and Georgia State Panthers will square off in this one. The Hilltoppers come in as a 6 ½ point favorite, with the O/U for this one set at 51 ½.
2017 AutoNation Cure Bowl Betting Lines & Preview: WKU vs. Georgia State
— WKU Football (@WKUFootball) 11 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Saturday, December 16 at 2:30 PM EST
- Where: Camping World Stadium, Orlando
- TV: CBSSN
- Radio: 105.3 FM (Western Kentucky) / 105.1 FM (Georgia State)
- Live Stream: CBSSN Live
- AutoNation Cure Bowl Betting Odds: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers -6.5 (Over/Under at 51.5)
- Clear: 20°C/68°F
- Humidity: 46%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 18%
- Wind: 6 mph NNE
- Stadium Type: Open
Last Meeting Statistics
- Score: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 44.00 / Georgia State Panthers 28.00
- Rush Yards: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 203.00 / Georgia State Panthers 85.00
- Pass Attempts: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 29.00 / Georgia State Panthers 41.00
- Completion Percentage: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 62.07 / Georgia State Panthers 63.41
- Passing Yards: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 241.00 / Georgia State Panthers 325.00
- Total Yards: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 444.00 / Georgia State Panthers 410.00
- Turnovers: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 2.00 / Georgia State Panthers 2.00
Why bet on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers?
The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers ended the regular season with a 6-6 record, but how they finished out was not particularly good. They ended up on the losing end of things in 4 of their final regular season games, and only managed to become bowl eligible by the skin of their teeth. This will only be the second time ever that Western Kentucky has face Georgia State, but it was the Hilltoppers who came out on top in a rather one-sided affair in that meeting.
If Western Kentucky is to win this one, they are once again going to need to do so through the air, as they only managed to average a touch over 66 YPG on the ground in the regular season. They did have success through the air, though, averaging 333 YPG. The Hilltoppers were not a great ATS bet this year, going just 3-9. As far as point total went, 7 of their 12 games went OVER.
- Average Score For: 26.17
- Total Yards: 400.59
- Rush Yards: 66.92
- Passing Yards: 333.67
- Average Score Against: 26.83
- Total Yards: 373.66
- Rush Yards: 172.58
- Passing Yards: 201.08
Why bet on the Georgia State Panthers?
It’s rather amazing that the Georgia State Panthers were able to go 5-6 this season when you consider that their offense managed less than 19 PPG in those 11 games. The defense gave up 25 PPG, but you have to consider that things could have been a whole lot worse given the inability of the offense to move the football and put points on the board. The Panthers were not particularly good in the final weeks of the regular season, losing their final 3 games, and averaging just 14 PPG in the process.
If they cannot slow down the air attack of the Hilltoppers on Saturday, the Panthers could be in for a long game. Given their inability to score, it should come as no surprise to learn that 8 of their 11 games went UNDER. The Panthers went 4-7 ATS in their 11 games.
- Average Score For: 18.82
- Total Yards: 371.9
- Rush Yards: 110.45
- Passing Yards: 261.45
- Average Score Against: 25.45
- Total Yards: 390.45
- Rush Yards: 149.09
- Passing Yards: 241.36
Latest AutoNation Cure Bowl Betting Trends
- Hilltoppers are 3-9 ATS in their last 12 games
- Hilltoppers are 14-6 SU in their last 20 games
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Western Kentucky’s last 7 games
- Panthers are 1-5 ATS in its last 6 games
- Panthers are 2-4 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Georgia State’s last 6 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
I don’t expect to see a great deal of offense in this one, with the most obvious bet being the UNDER. I think Western Kentucky will get the win, and I also like them to cover, albeit only just.
Score: Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 28 – Georgia State Panthers 21