The 16th ranked Michigan State Spartans will look to cover the Holiday Bowl spread as slight favorites when they take on the 18th ranked Washington State Cougars at SDCCU Stadium on Thursday, December 28th. Now, based on the latest NCAAF odds, let’s find out which one of these teams is offering the best value in this matchup.
Cougars (9-3) vs. Spartans (9-3) 2017 Holiday Bowl Spread & Pick
— WSU Cougar Football (@wsucougfb) 27 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Thursday, December 28, 2017, 9:00 PM ET
- Where: SDCCU Stadium
- TV: FS1
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- Holiday Bowl Spread: Washington State Cougars +1.5 (Over/Under at 46.5)
- Clear: 16°C/60°F
- Humidity: 67%
- Precipitation: 2%
- Cloud Cover: 4%
- Wind: 1 mph NE
- Stadium Type: Open
- All: Michigan State Spartans 9-3 / Washington State Cougars 9-3
- Home: Michigan State Spartans 6-1 / Washington State Cougars 7-0
- Away: Michigan State Spartans 3-2 / Washington State Cougars 2-3
- ATS: Michigan State Spartans 7-5 / Washington State Cougars 7-5
- Over/Under: Michigan State Spartans 5-7 / Washington State Cougars 5-7
Why Bet on Washington State Odds at +1.5?
The Cougars got blown out of the water 41-14 in their regular season finale against in-state rival Washington on Nov. 25 to snap their modest two-game winning streak while failing to cover the chalk as a 9.5-point road underdog. The Cougars put up a solid 31.4 points per game (42nd) while allowing 24.4 points per contest defensively (47th) this season.
“The best thing about our team this year is we’re a pretty complete team,” he said. “We had contributions pretty consistently throughout the season on all three sides of the ball: special teams, offense, and defense.”
Quarterback Luke Falk had an excellent campaign by completing 66.9 percent of his passes with 30 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions while wide receiver Tavares Martin Jr. recorded a team-high 831 rushing yards and 11 TD receptions.
- Average Score For: 31.42
- Total Yards: 445.83
- Rush Yards: 71.08
- Passing Yards: 374.75
- Average Score Against: 24.42
- Total Yards: 313.59
- Rush Yards: 146.17
- Passing Yards: 167.42
Why Bet on Michigan State Odds at -1.5?
Michigan State won two straight and three of their final four games to close out their regular season and come into this contest off a convincing 40-7 rout over Rutgers in their finale while easily covering the chalk as a 13.5-point favorite. The Spartans average an uninspiring 23.1 points per game (106th) but have been one of the best defensive teams in the nation in limiting the opposition to just 20.2 points per game defensively (23rd).
Quarterback Brian Lewerke completed just 58.8 percent of his passes while throwing for 2,580 yards with 17 touchdowns and seven interceptions while running back L.J. Scott rushed for a team-high 785 yards and six touchdowns.
Despite their modest offensive production this season, Lewerke says he believes in his offensive teammates.
“We’ve got guys that can make plays everywhere whether it’s a receiver, tight end, or running back,” Lewerke said following the regular-season finale win against Rutgers on Nov. 25. “My lone touchdown pass was to a running back today. So, it just shows how versatile everybody is.”
- Average Score For: 23.08
- Total Yards: 378.34
- Rush Yards: 162.92
- Passing Yards: 215.42
- Average Score Against: 20.25
- Total Yards: 297.83
- Rush Yards: 101.33
- Passing Yards: 196.50
Latest Betting Trends for 2017 Holiday Bowl
- Washington State is 7-3 ATS in its last 10 games
- Washington State is 9-3 SU in its last 12 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Washington State’s last 9 games
- Michigan State is 2-4 ATS in its last 6 games
- Michigan State is 7-2 SU in its last 9 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Michigan State’s last 8 games
- Michigan State is 1-7 ATS in its last 8 games on the road
- Washington State is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games on the road
Expert Analysis and Prediction
While Michigan State undoubtedly has one of the best defenses in the country, the Spartans are too offensively-challenged in my mind to keep up with the offensively explosive Cougars in this contest. Michigan State is 4-0 ATS in their last 4 Bowl games and 6-1-1 ATS in their last 8 neutral site games, but the Spartans are also just 3-8 ATS in their last 11 non-conference games and 1-6 ATS in their last seven games against teams from the Pac-12.
Washington is 8-2 ATS in their last 10 games following a straight-up loss and a robust 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games overall. The Cougars win and cover the Holiday Bowl spread!
Pick: Washington State Cougars +1.5