The first day of 2018 is a day that college football fans have been waiting on for about a month now, as it’s the day when the playoffs finally begin. While the two main games will get all the hype and headlines, the January 1 college football calendar looks a bit like a big boxing night in we have a pretty decent little undercard going on prior to the start of the playoff games. There are 3 games set to go on Monday afternoon before the Rose Bowl gets underway later in the day, and it has to be said that there are some rather intriguing match-ups on tap. One that looks like it might be a lot of fun is the game that will feature the undefeated UCF Knights going up against the Peach Bowl betting odds favorite Auburn Tigers in SEC country.
There are a lot of good story points in this one, with most of those being within the UCF Knights program, including whether they can finish this season with an unblemished record. Auburn is in as 9 ½ point favorites, with the point total set at 67.
UCF Knights (12-0) vs. Auburn Tigers (10-3) 2017 Peach Bowl Betting Prediction
From 12-1…to 0-12…to 12-0…
Our 5th-year seniors have been on the ultimate 🎢 ride to get where they are today ✊
— UCF Football (@UCF_Football) 28 de diciembre de 2017
- When: Monday, January 1 at 12:30 PM EST
- Where: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 740 (UCF) / 92.3 FM (Auburn)
- Live Stream: Watch ESPN
- Peach Bowl Betting Odds: Auburn Tigers -9.5 (Over/Under at 67 points)
- Clear: -1°C/31°F
- Humidity: 38%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 19%
- Wind: 9 mph N
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Recent Head to Head (Last 3 Games)
- Record: Auburn Tigers lead 3-0
- Score: UCF Knights 10.00 / Auburn Tigers 26.33
- Rush Yards: UCF Knights 38.00 / Auburn Tigers 101.00
- Pass Attempts: UCF Knights 40.67 / Auburn Tigers 33.67
- Completion Percentage: UCF Knights 59.84 / Auburn Tigers 56.44
- Passing Yards: UCF Knights 254.00 / Auburn Tigers 260.67
- Total Yards: UCF Knights 292.00 / Auburn Tigers 361.67
- Turnovers: UCF Knights 2.67 / Auburn Tigers 2.00
Why bet on the UCF Knights?
If we have learned anything from the first few years of the college football playoffs, it’s that you are not likely to be a part of it if you are not from a Power 5 conference. The UCF Knights finished the season with a perfect 12-0 record, yet only managed to land at the #12 spot in the final rankings.
This is just the nature of the beast, as is the fact that their head coach, Scott Frost, chose to move on to take over the reins at a Power 5 school. It is now going to be interesting to see how this team reacts to that departure. Will they go out and try to win one more for the coach that guided them to a perfect regular season, or will the pain of his departure snuff out their fire? The Knights averaged over 49 PPG this season and gave up an average of 25 PPG. They went 7-4-1 ATS and 7-4 O/U.
- Average Score For: 49.42
- Total Yards: 540.17
- Rush Yards: 200.92
- Passing Yards: 339.25
- Average Score Against: 25.17
- Total Yards: 428.5
- Rush Yards: 165.67
- Passing Yards: 262.83
Why bet on the Auburn Tigers?
The Auburn Tigers ad themselves a great year, finishing at 10-3, but they still came up a little short when it really mattered. This was a team that started to peak late in the season, knocking off the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide in a 3-week span, at a time when their opponents were ranked #1 at game time.
That was enough to get them an SEC West division crown and a spot in the Conference Championship Game, but their playoff hopes were dashed after getting pounded by the Georgia Bulldogs in the big one. That loss dropped them out of playoff contention and put them into a good bowl game on New Year’s Day. The Auburn defense is one of the best in the nation, giving up just 17 PPG this season. This team went 5-5-3 ATS and 7-5 O/U.
- Average Score For: 34.38
- Total Yards: 454.00
- Rush Yards: 228.15
- Passing Yards: 225.85
- Average Score Against: 17.31
- Total Yards: 317.62
- Rush Yards: 134.62
- Passing Yards: 183.00
Latest Peach Bowl Betting Trends
- Central Florida is 2-4-1 ATS in its last 7 games
- Central Florida is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Central Florida’s last 5 games
- Auburn is 2-5 ATS in its last 7 games
- Auburn is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Auburn’s last 10 games
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
UCF is going to have a hard time moving the ball on this Auburn defense, but I still think they are going to put some points up, albeit in a losing cause. I like the Tigers to win and UCF to cover, and I also like the OVER.
Score: UCF Knights 33 – Auburn Tigers 40