Given how dominant the Clemson Tigers have been in the ACC in recent years, you often wonder where a serious challenge might come from. Last season was a little different in that Notre Dame played in the conference for the season, but 2021 will see things return to normal. Clemson are expected to roll to another conference championship, but might there be a team that can disrupt what has become the norm in the ACC? Perhaps the North Carolina Tar Heels can be that team. Let’s take a closer look at the Tar Heels and make some bold predictions for the coming season so you can bet against their NCAAF odds.
NCAA Football – North Carolina Tar Heels: 5 Fearless Betting Predictions
- The Tar Heels Finish in the Top 10 – It has been quite some time since North Carolina finished the season in the top 10 in the national rankings, but I think this might well be the year when they make their return. They have been getting progressively better since Mack Brown returned to coach and have the squad depth now to make a run at the top 10. The playoffs are still a huge longshot at this stage of the game, but this is a team on the brink of being highly respected again.
- A Trip to the ACC Championship Game – Given the strength of the ACC from top to bottom, this might not be the boldest prediction to make. The Clemson Tigers are more than likely going to run away with the Atlantic Division, but things should be tighter in the Coastal. You have to say that Miami look like the biggest threat to the Tar Heels in that division, but I believe that UNC can hold off all challengers and take the Coastal crown.
- Sam Howell Will Be a Heisman Candidate – The UNC offense, known as the Air Raid Attack, set all sorts of school records last season, and while they lost a couple of big play guys to the draft, they will have Sam Howell back under center for his 3rd season. The Tar Heels have recruited well and have some guys that can step in and make a difference right away on the offensive side of the football. If they can get in sync with their QB early on, we should see some lofty stats for Howell again. Maybe good enough to be a Heisman candidate.
- Another Major Bowl Game – Last season, the UNC Tar Heels ended up playing in the Orange Bowl, which was their first major bowl game appearance since the 1950’s. If all of our previous predictions fall into place, they will almost certainly be looking at another big one once bowl season rolls around. They will, though, be looking for a better showing that what we saw from them last season when they were roughed up by Texas A&M.
- Take the OVER 9 ½ Wins – This article is all about bold predictions, so we might as well go all out with this one. Since the return of Mack Brown, the Tar Heels have had 7 wins in 2019 and 8 in 2020. That is a steady progression that could well continue this season. 10-2 is a bit of an ask, but again, if our other predictions in this piece play out, it’s one that is achievable.