Now that the college football season is actually underway for the joy of NCAA Football betting fans, those preseason coaches’ polls are likely to undergo some significant change. Some of the schools who have been held in high regard are due for a fall – while others will shock the nation by playing much better than people had thought. This article takes a look at five schools that are due to fall a bit once real play begins.
The SEC has eight teams who are ranked in the preseason poll, and 13 of the teams in the conference picked up votes (Vanderbilt was the one left out). Tennessee does hold the #25 slot. However, Mississippi State is not ranked at all. The Bulldogs did fall off a bit at the end, but they had a terrific season. The Volunteers finished 7-6 and made their irst bowl game since 2010. There is some young talent on the team as well, and Josh Dobbs is a swell quarterback.
However, last year Tennessee had five games against ranked teams, and they lost all five, losing by a 33-17 average margin. Who did they beat? Utah State, Tennessee-Chattanooga, South Carolina, Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, Iowa and Kentucky. That’s not a terrific group of teams. I expect to see them fall out of the rankings pretty quickly.
Oregon will be a good team too. But are they really top five? They did lose Marcus Mariota. There is a skilled quarterback coming in from Eastern Washington replace him. However, they are only bringing back 12 starters from 2014. A lot of the defections play defense. The O-line has only two starters coming back, and their center (Hroniss Grasu) was one of the country’s best. It’s possible to replace this talent, but I am not sure they are a top-five team.
Leonard Fournette is a terrific player, and it helps that most of the Tigers’ offense is coming back. But if you think back to what that offense was like in 2014, it wasn’t all that terrific. They scored only 19.1 points per game in SEC play, second to last ahead of only Vanderbilt. The quarterback situation is still in flux.
In 2012, USC opened the season with a #1 preseason ranking and wasn’t even ranked by the end of the year. The preseason polls this year have them at #10, but that’s still too high. They only won nine games in 2014, and they lost a bunch of stars to the NFL draft and graduation. It’s not likely that USC will even win the Pac-12 South, so they are not a top 10 team.
Sports & Betting Topics
- Early 2020 National Championship Odds – Analyzing the Favorites
- 2020 National Championship Betting Lines – Underdogs Analysis
- 2020 National Championship Odds – Dark Horses Analysis
- Early 2020 National Championship Betting Favorites – January 8th Edition
- 2019 National Championship ATS Betting Pick
- How to Bet the 2019 National Championship Game
- 2019 National Championship SU Betting Pick
- Why Bet for Alabama Crimson Tide to Win the 2019 National Championship?
- Top College Bowl Betting Picks of the Week – December 31st
- Clemson vs Alabama 2019 National Championship Odds & Analysis
- Kentucky vs Penn State 2019 Citrus Bowl Odds & Expert Pick
- Texas vs Georgia 2019 Sugar Bowl Betting Lines & Preview
- Washington vs Ohio State 2019 Rose Bowl Odds & Prediction
- LSU vs UCF 2019 Fiesta Bowl Lines & Game Prediction
- Mississippi State vs Iowa 2019 Outback Bowl Odds & Preview
- Alabama vs Oklahoma 2018 Orange Bowl Betting Lines & Pick
- Clemson vs Notre Dame 2018 Cotton Bowl Odds & Expert Pick
- NC State vs Texas A&M 2018 Gator Bowl Odds & Game Preview
- Missouri vs Oklahoma State 2018 Liberty Bowl Spread & Analysis
- Michigan State vs Oregon 2018 Redbox Bowl Lines
- Stanford vs Pittsburgh 2018 Sun Bowl Odds & Betting Prediction
- Cincinnati vs Virginia Tech 2018 Military Bowl Spread & Expert Pick
- Arkansas State vs Nevada 2018 Arizona Bowl Lines & Game Preview
- South Carolina vs Virginia 2018 Belk Bowl Odds & Betting Analysis
- Iowa State vs Washington State 2018 Alamo Bowl Lines & Preview
- Florida vs Michigan 2018 Peach Bowl Odds & Pick
- Temple vs Duke 2018 Independence Bowl Odds & Preview
- West Virginia vs Syracuse 2018 Camping World Bowl Odds & Analysis
- Miami vs Wisconsin 2018 Pinstripe Bowl Spread & Expert Pick
- Purdue vs Auburn 2018 Music City Bowl Lines & Prediction