It’s another big weekend in college football, as we will get to find out which teams will emerge as the champions of their respective conferences. There are a ton of games on the schedule this coming Saturday, and while some games are certainly considered bigger than others, try telling that to the players of the MAC Championship odds favorite Toledo Rockets and the underdog Akron Zips.
It will serve as one of the early games on the Saturday schedule, and will hopefully set the tone for what is to come later in the day. The Toledo Rockets are in as a 21 ½ point favorite for this one, which is no real surprise given how their meeting went earlier in the season. The O/U for this one has been set at 57 points, and while this is definitely not the biggest game on the Saturday calendar, it’s one that I believe we can all make some money on.
MAC Championship Odds & Preview: Toledo vs. Akron
— Toledo Football (@ToledoFB) 27 de noviembre de 2017
- When: Saturday, December 2 at 12 PM EST
- Where: Ford Field, Detroit
- TV: ESPN
- Radio: 106.7 FM (Toledo) / 1420 AM (Akron)
- Live Stream: Watch ESPN
- MAC Championship Odds: Toledo Rockets -21.5 (Over/Under at 57)
- Partly Cloudy: 6°C/42°F
- Humidity: 73%
- Precipitation: 4%
- Cloud Cover: 53%
- Wind: 9 mph SSW
Recent Head to Head (Last 9 Games)
- Record: Toledo Rockets lead 7-2
- Score: Akron Zips 21.78 / Toledo Rockets 35.33
- Rush Yards: Akron Zips 120.56 / Toledo Rockets 189.78
- Pass Attempts: Akron Zips 30.78 / Toledo Rockets 29.67
- Completion Percentage: Akron Zips 56.32 / Toledo Rockets 62.92
- Passing Yards: Akron Zips 219.78 / Toledo Rockets 231.67
- Total Yards: Akron Zips 340.34 / Toledo Rockets 421.35
- Turnovers: Akron Zips 1.89 / Toledo Rockets 1.00
Why bet on the Toledo Rockets?
The Toledo Rockets made it to the championships game by winning the MAC West with a 7-1 record, going 10-2 overall on the season. The Rockets closed out the season strong, winning 7 of their last 8 games, with the lone blip on the radar coming against Ohio in a game where the Toledo offense was finally held in check. The Rockets averaged a touch over 38 PPG this season, but they easily eclipsed that number when they faced the Akron Zips earlier in the season, winning that game 48-21.
This is a team that is incredibly tough to defend, as they can hurt their opponents in several different ways. They averaged over 290 YPG through the air this season, whilst also going over 217 YPG on the ground. They basically ran all over the Zips in their previous meeting this season, so it’s no real surprise that the Rockets are so heavily favored for this one. A win here would represent the first MAC title win for Toledo since 2004.
- Average Score For: 38.67
- Total Yards: 508.34
- Rush Yards: 217.67
- Passing Yards: 290.67
- Average Score Against: 25.42
- Total Yards: 377.84
- Rush Yards: 170.67
- Passing Yards: 207.17
Why bet on the Akron Zips?
The Akron Zips were something of a surprise winner on the East side of the MAC Conference, edging out the Ohio Bobcats with a 6-2 conference record, which took them to 7-5 on the season. The Zips won 3 of their last 4 games to closed out the season, including a win over Ohio that essentially clinched the East. As impressive as their division win was, they are going to need to find a way to play a whole lot better than they did the first time they faced the Toledo Rockets.
Further compounding the issue for the Zips is that they have only won 2 of their last 9 meetings with the Rockets, so they are really up against it in this one, as the MAC Championship odds indicate. The Zips closed out the season well from a betting standpoint, going 7-2 ATS in their last 9. That said, they are just 3-6 ATS in their last 9 against Toledo.
- Average Score For: 23.25
- Total Yards: 324.34
- Rush Yards: 108.17
- Passing Yards: 216.17
- Average Score Against: 24.75
- Total Yards: 421.5
- Rush Yards: 191.83
- Passing Yards: 229.67
Latest MAC Championship Betting Trends
- Akron is 7-2 ATS in its last 9 games
- Akron is 6-2 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of Akron’s last 10 games
- Toledo is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games
- Toledo is 7-1 SU in its last 8 games
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Toledo’s last 6 games when playing Akron
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
The Rockets look like a lock to win this one straight up, which means we need to turn our attention to the SU and O/U options. I like Toledo to cover the spread, and I also like the OVER.
Score: Toledo Rockets 42 – Akron Zips 18