No. 16 Notre Dame saw its hopes of getting back to the College Football Playoff dashed in a big loss to Michigan last week, but the Irish could still reach a New Year’s Six bowl by finishing strong. They are solid NCAAF betting favorites against visiting Virginia Tech on Saturday.
How to Bet Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame College Football Week 10 Odds & Game Info
- When: Saturday, 2:30 PM ET
- Where: Notre Dame Stadium
- TV: NBC
- Live Stream: NBC Sports Live
- Radio: SiriusXM
- College Football Week 10 Odds: Notre Dame -17.5 (Total 58)
Last Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame Meeting
Schools played last year in Blacksburg and the No. 6 Irish rolled 45-23. The Fighting Irish had minus-5 rushing yards and were facing second-and-12 from their 3 when Dexter Williams broke into the clear early in the third quarter and went 97 yards for a TD putting Notre Dame ahead 24-16.
That changed the entire game. Williams finished with 178 yards on 17 carries. He also added TD runs of 1 and 31 yards. Ian Book finished 25 for 35 for 271 yards for the Irish and Ryan Willis was 31 for 52 for 309 yards with two TDs and one interception for the Hokies.
Why Bet on Virginia Tech?
The Hokies have been off since a wild 43-41 six-overtime home win over North Carolina on Oct. 19 – Virginia Tech still has a shot to win the ACC Coastal Division. Quincy Patterson’s two-point conversion run in the sixth overtime was the winner. It was the nationwide debut of college football’s new overtime rules, which now call for going for two points after the fourth overtime. Both teams misfired on opportunities to win the game in earlier overtime periods. Tech kicker Brian Johnson missed game-winning attempts from 41 and 42 yards.
Patterson – the Hokies’ third-team quarterback coming into the game – played because of an injury to starter Hendon Hooker, who went down with a leg injury late in the first half. Ryan Willis replaced Hooker for a while. Willis threw a touchdown at the end of the first half right after Hooker’s injury, but the offense looked out of sync when he was in the game for a pair of drives at the start of the third quarter. So coach Justin Fuente elected to go with Patterson the rest of the way.
Patterson rushed for 122 yards on 21 carries and threw for 54 yards and a touchdown to pace the Hokies, who finished with a season-high 490 yards of offense.
Sounds like Hooker will start this week but Patterson may have earned some snaps. Since taking over the duties as the starting quarterback, Hooker has thrown for 580 yards and seven touchdowns with zero interceptions. He has led Virginia Tech to three straight victories with the offense scoring at least 34 points in each. VT has committed only two turnovers during its three-game winning streak after turning the ball over 11 times in its first four games.
After missing the first three games of the season and catching two passes in his first two games back, WR Damon Hazelton has caught eight passes for 136 yards with four TDs over the past two games with two TDs apiece the past two games.
- Points per Game: 30.29
- Passing Yards: 220.00
- Rushing Yards: 175.14
- Yards per Play: 5.59
- Points per Game: 29.57
- Passing Yards: 250.86
- Rushing Yards: 145.29
- Yards per Play: 5.49
Why Bet on Notre Dame?
The Irish are 27-6 dating back to the start of the 2017 campaign with all six of those losses coming vs. AP Top 25 foes. Notre Dame has won 15 straight games at home dating back to Sept. 30, 2017, starting with a victory over Miami (Ohio). It is the third-longest home winning streak for the Irish since Notre Dame Stadium opened in 1930 (28 straight from 1942-50; 19 straight from 1987-90).
Last week, though, the Irish were manhandled in a 45-14 loss at No. 19 Michigan. The Wolverines outgained the Irish 437-180, including 303 rushing yards where the Irish had allowed an average of just 155.0 rushing yards per game entering the contest. With 14 pass attempts by Michigan, it marked the fewest by an Irish opponent since Navy attempted just six passes (completing three) in a 41-24 Notre Dame win on Oct, 10, 2015. With 14 pass attempts by Michigan, it marked the fewest by an Irish opponent since Navy attempted just six passes (completing three) in a 41-24 Notre Dame win on Oct, 10, 2015.
Irish QB Ian Book finished 8-of-25 passing for 73 yards and a touchdown – easily the worst game of his career. In relief, sophomore Phil Jurkovec finished with 60 yards and a touchdown on 3-of-4 passing.
Notre Dame running backs have gone 1,260 carries without losing a fumble – dating back to Nov. 21, 2015. It is the longest active streak in the FBS, ahead of Northwestern’s 1,222-carry streak. Notre Dame remains perfect in redzone-scoring percentage, converting on 24-of-24 visits inside the 20. Twenty-one of those scores were touchdowns (11 rushing, 10 passing).
No other team in FBS remains perfect in the red zone this season.
- Points per Game: 39.17
- Passing Yards: 262.00
- Rushing Yards: 192.00
- Yards per Play: 6.95
- Points per Game: 16.83
- Passing Yards: 195.17
- Rushing Yards: 151.00
- Yards per Play: 4.95
Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame College Football Week 10 Betting Trends
- Hokies are 14-6 SU in their last 20 games on the road
- Hokies are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 games played in November
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of Virginia Tech’s last 11 games played in week 10
- Fighting Irish are 16-0 SU in their last 16 games at home
- Fighting Irish are 4-2 ATS in their last 6 games played on a Saturday
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Notre Dame’s last 10 games
Expert Final Score Prediction for Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame
Virginia Tech 20 – Notre Dame 41
More Week 10 College Football Betting News
- Boise State vs San Jose State 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds & Prediction
- Ole Miss vs Auburn 2019 College Football Week 10 Lines & Game Preview
- Utah vs Washington 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds, Preview & Pick
- SMU vs Memphis 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- Wofford vs Clemson 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds & Analysis
- Georgia vs Florida 2019 College Football Week 10 Betting Lines & Preview
- Virginia Tech vs Notre Dame 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds & Expert Pick
- Michigan vs Maryland 2019 College Football Week 10 Spread & Prediction
- North Carolina State vs Wake Forest 2019 College Football Week 10 Lines & Preview
- College Football Picks Week Ten (Ep. 746)
- Georgia Southern vs Appalachian State 2019 College Football Week 10 Odds & Pick
- 2019 College Football Week 10 Over/Under Betting Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 10 Parlay Picks
- 2019 College Football Week 10 ATS Betting Picks