NFL Betting Prediction: Teams to Start 0-5 in 2017
Training camp is the time of year in the NFL wen hope springs eternal. That’s when every team feels like they have the same odds to win the Super Bowl. For a number of teams, though, this is nothing but false optimism, as we all know which teams are most likely to be scraping the bottom of the barrel by the time this NFL betting season draws to a close.
There are a couple of NFL betting picks this year who have a legitimate shot at going 0-16, but rather than making that prediction, let’s try and find a few that are unlikely to pick up a win through their opening 5 games of the season.
We will also be featuring a few teams that might well go 5-0 to start the year, so be on the lookout for that article. For now, though, let’s take a look at some teams who are in the running to be truly awful NFL betting picks this season.
NFL Betting Prediction: Teams to Start 0-5 in 2017
New York Jets
I should make it clear right off the bat that only one of the first two teams in this list can possibly go 0-5, as they will be going head to head in the early part of the season. The Jets were truly awful last year, and you have to believe that the only way is up.
But What’s Wrong With NY?
The problem here is that they have a very young group of players that are going to make a lot of mistakes, and that could make for a very long season. The Jets don’t have the toughest start ever, with the Bills, Jaguars, and Browns all opponents in the first 5 weeks of the season. They have a shot at winning one or two of those games, but do they have the ability to pull it off?
It’s never really a surprise to see the hapless Cleveland Browns on a list of the worst teams in the league, as they have made a habit of being really bad. I think it’s fair to say that there is a better than average shot that they will go 0-4 to start the season, with the Steelers, Ravens, Colts, and Bengals their opponents through the first 4 weeks.
What Are Their Chances to Not Start With the Wrong Foot?
Their chance to avoid a 0-4 start is most likely to come in Week 5 when they go up against the Jets. As I said at the start, only one of these two can go winless in the opening 5 weeks of the NFL season, and given their schedules, I think the Browns are the favorites to hit that lowly mark.
Let’s not try to sugar coat things here, the LA Rams were one of the most boring teams in the league to watch last season, as they consistently struggled to get anything going offensively. After a brilliant rookie season, Todd Gurley went through a sophomore slump that was probably caused by other teams loading the box to stop the run, knowing full well that the Rams did not have a QB on staff who could hBaurt them.
What Can We Expect from LA?
Expect more of the same this season, as the Rams did little to improve their squad via the draft. They have the Colts, Redskins, Cowboys, and Seahawks in the first 5 weeks, all of which are potential losses, with their lone shot at early season success coming in Week 3 versus the 49ers.
The Bears have what looks to be a talented group of rookies in their squad this season, but how many are going to be able to contribute right from the off? Much of the success of this team is going to fall on the shoulders of Mitch Trubisky at the QB season, and there are sure to be rookie mistakes made as he learns on the job
Will Chicago Be Any Different This Season?
Of this group of teams, I think the Bears are the most likely of the lot to go 0-5, simply because they have a brutal schedule. The Falcons, Buccaneers, Steelers, Vikings, and Packers are on tap through the first 5 weeks for the Bears, and I don’t see a single winnable game in that bunch.
2017-18 NFL Betting Trends for the Regular Season
- Arizona Cardinals: O 8½ -110 / U 8½ -120
- Atlanta Falcons: O 9½ -130 / U 9½ +100
- Baltimore Ravens: O 8½ +100 / U 8½ -130
- Buffalo Bills: O 6½ -125 / U 6½ -105
- Carolina Panthers: O 9 -130 / U 9 +100
- Chicago Bears: O 5½ +110 / U 5½ -140
- Cincinnati Bengals: O 8½ -110 / U 8½ -120
- Cleveland Browns: O 4½ -115 / U 4½ -115
- Dallas Cowboys: O 9½ +100 / U 9½ -130
- Denver Broncos: O 8½ +120 / U 8½ -150
- Detroit Lions: O 7½ -110 / U 7½ -120
- Green Bay Packers: O 10½ +110 / U 10½ -140
- Houston Texans: O 8½ -135 / U 8½ +105
- Jacksonville Jaguars: O 6½ -150 / U 6½ +120
- Kansas City Chiefs: O 9 -115 / U 9 -115
- LA Chargers: O 7½ -130 / U 7½ +100
- LA Rams: O 5½ -110 / U 5½ -120
- Miami Dolphins: O 7½ -120 / U 7½ -110
- Minnesota Vikings: O 8½ -110 / U 8½ -120
- New England Patriots: O 12½ -120 / U 12½ -110
- New Orleans Saints: O 8½ +125 / U 8½ -155
- NY Giants: O 9 -110 / U 9 -120
- NY Jets: O 4½ +185 / U 4½ -225
- Oakland Raiders: O 9½ -135 / U 9½ +105
- Philadelphia Eagles: O 8½ +105 / U 8½ -135
- Pittsburgh Steelers: O 10½ -130 / U 10½ +100
- San Francisco 49ers: O 4½ -150 / U 4½ +120
- Seattle Seahawks: O 10½ -130 / U 10½ +100
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: O 8½ +105 / U 8½ -135
- Tennessee Titans: O 9 -110 / U 9 -120
- Washington Redskins: O 7½ -115 / U 7½ -115