While the Philadelphia Eagles and Atlanta Falcons have both looked uninterested at best this preseason, is one team a lock to cover the chalk when they square off in the first game of the 2018 NFL regular season?Do the revamped Cleveland Browns stand a chance of covering the spread in their season-opening matchup against the Super Bowl-hopeful Pittsburgh Steelers?How likely is it that the Minnesota Vikings hand Jimmy Garoppolo his first loss as a starter for the San Francisco 49ers when they square off in their NFL Week 1 matchup?If you’re looking to get your 2018 NFL regular season betting campaign off to a positive start, then I’ve got a handful of insightful trends that every NFL bettors needs to be aware of.With the start of the 2018 regular season just over a week away, let’s ge6t down to business.
2018 NFL Week 1 Betting Trends You Should Be Aware Of
Thursday Sept. 6, 2018
Atlanta Falcons at Philadelphia Eagles (-4, 46.5)The Eagles and Falcons both went into their respective preseason finales at 0-3, but I suspect both teams are going to ‘show up’ for their week 1 regular season opener. The key trends for this one though say Atlanta is in for a difficult way to go.
- Falcons are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 road games.
- Eagles are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in Week 1.
- Eagles are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 home games.
- Home team is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings.
Sunday Sept. 9, 2018
Pittsburgh Steelers at Cleveland Browns (+5.5, 46.5)The Pittsburgh Steelers may be the only team with legitimate Super Bowl hopes in this regular season opener between longtime AFC North division rivals, but Pittsburgh’s key trends for this contest say the Browns are going to cover the chalk as a near, touchdown home dog.
- Steelers are 2-5-1 ATS in their last 8 vs. AFC North.
- Steelers are 1-5 ATS in their last 6 vs. AFC.
- Steelers are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games overall.
- Steelers are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games in Week 1.
San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings (-5.5, 46)The new-look San Francisco 49ers are being hailed as one of the top picks for a team to improve in 2018, but not so fast. First, Frisco has to deal with a Minnesota Vikings team in week 1 that has some seriously legitimate Super Bowl hopes after reaching the NFC Championship a year ago. The Niners have some positive trends going that suggest an ATS cover could be in the works, but Minnesota has it’s own eye-opening trends that suggest they’ll cover as a home favorite. Personally, Minnesota’s stunning ATS mark over the last four plus seasons is difficult for me to overlook.
- 49ers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games in Week 1.
- 49ers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 road games
- Vikings are 7-1 ATS in their last 8 games in September.
- Vikings are 42-19 ATS in their last 61 games overall.
Buffalo Bills at Baltimore Ravens (-6, 41)Buffalo has compiled some eye-opening trends heading into their regular season opener, but Baltimore doesn’t like to lose in Week 1, plus the Bills have looked mostly uninspiring in the preseason.
- Bills are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games in September.
- Bills are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in Week 1.
- Ravens are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games in Week 1.
Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Giants (+3, 43.5)Jacksonville looks like one of the best Week 1 locks to me NFL betting enthusiasts – and the key trends for their opener against the Giants is in agreement.
- Jaguars are 9-4 ATS in their last 13 road games.
- Giants are 2-5 ATS in their last 7 games in Week 1.
- Giants are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games in September.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints (-9.5, 49.5)Speaking of locks, you might want to look at New Orleans in their Week 1 matchup against Tampa Bay, because the key trends are suggesting it’s a wrap!
- Buccaneers are 4-10 ATS in their last 14 games in September.
- Buccaneers are 3-8 ATS in their last 11 games in Week 1.
- Saints are 13-5 ATS in their last 18 vs. NFC South.
Kansas City Chiefs at Los Angeles Chargers (-3, 47.5)The Los Angeles Chargers have Super Bowl hopes, but the key trends for their Week 1 matchup against their AFC West division rivals, say the Kansas City Chiefs are the pick to cover.
- Road team is 5-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings.
- Chiefs are 7-2 ATS in their last 9 meetings.
Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers (-2.5, 45)The key trends for this contest suggest that Cowboys have a great chance to cover the chalk. I completely disagree – and Carolina has its own useful trends that also suggest otherwise!
- Cowboys are 5-1-1 ATS in their last 7 road games.
- Cowboys are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games in September.
- Panthers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 home games.
- Panthers are 5-2 ATS in their last 7 games on grass.
- Panthers are 7-3 ATS in their last 10 games overall.