If you are a quarterback who is in the middle of the league in terms of quality, how far can you realistically take a team? NFL betting fans have seen it happen, Jake Delhomme took the Carolina Panthers to a Super Bowl. Craig Morton took the Denver Broncos to one. Ron Jaworski took the Philadelphia Eagles to one. Kyle Boller took the Ravens to one. However, there are two ways to get to the middle of the pack: you can be consistently mediocre over time, or you can alternate terrific plays with terrifying ones.
Inconsistent quarterbacks who play in the middle of the pack don’t get the same type of support that mediocre quarterbacks do. After all, fans just can’t take those sorts of errors game after game. One exception might be Cam Newton, who has some rabid supporters in Carolina. But after three more inconsistent teams, people will have the same irate attitude toward him there that Chicago fans have learned to adopt with regard to Jay Cutler. Inconsistent quarterbacks make loud enemies.
So what do you do if you have a quarterback like Dalton? Fans want a new quarterback, but it’s really hard to just go out and find one. Remember how long it took the Dallas Cowboys to find a decent replacement for Troy Aikman? That dark era between Aikman and Tony Romo featured some awful signal-callers in Big D. Or how about the Eagles’ ongoing struggle to replace Donovan McNabb. They might have found something solid in Sam Bradford, but we’ll see.
Dalton is one quarterback who has gotten a ton of scrutiny for his play. Each of his four seasons, the Bengals have gone to the playoffs. However, they have lost in the first round each time, and the fandom has blamed Dalton each time, fair or not. However, debating whether it is his fault in the playoffs isn’t important. Instead, it’s important to look at his entire body of work. The Bengals’ front office staff have evaluated him and found him to be quite average. However, the fans think that the Bengals will not win with Dalton, while the front office still needs to be convinced. If the offense remains conservative and the Bengals can find some quality talent with which to surround Dalton, things might be different. It remains to be seen, now that Dalton has the talented A.J. Green to catch the ball, along with some other solid athletes, whether Dalton can elevate his game and push further into the playoffs this year.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- Raiders at Cardinals NFL Week 11 Lines & Expert Pick
- Eagles vs Saints NFL Week 11 Betting Odds & Prediction
- How to Bet Broncos vs Chargers NFL Week 11 Spread & Pick
- Vikings vs Bears NFL Week 11 Lines & Game Preview
- Chiefs vs Rams NFL Week 11 Lines, Pick & Prediction
- Panthers at Lions NFL Week 11 Spread & Betting Analysis
- Titans vs Colts NFL Week 11 Lines & Prediction
- Texans at Redskins NFL Week 11 Odds & Expert Preview
- Bengals at Ravens NFL Week 11 Spread & Prediction
- Cowboys vs Falcons NFL Week 11 Lines & Expert Analysis
- NFL Week 11 Parlay Picks
- Bears vs Lions 2018 Thanksgiving Odds
- Steelers at Jaguars NFL Week 11 Lines & Preview
- Buccaneers vs Giants NFL Week 11 Odds & Prediction
- Packers vs Seahawks NFL Week 11 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- 2018 NFL Week 11 Odds, Overview & Predictions for Each Game
- NFL Week 11 Over/Under Picks
- NFL Week 11 ATS Betting Picks
- NFL Week 11 SU Betting Picks
- Seahawks vs Rams NFL Week 10 Spread & Betting Prediction
- Giants vs 49ers NFL Week 10 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Dolphins at Packers NFL Week 10 Lines & Expert Pick
- Cowboys vs Eagles NFL Week 10 Odds & Prediction
- Redskins vs Buccaneers NFL Week 10 Lines & Pick
- Patriots vs Titans NFL Week 10 Odds & Expert Prediction