When the New England Patriots received a $1 million fine for their role in the Deflategate scandal, that was one of the largest fines ever handed down by the National Football League. At the time, team owner Robert Kraft did not appeal the fine or even complain much about it, thinking that a humble attitude would help Tom Brady’s suspension get overturned on appeal. Now that the suspension has been upheld, of course, Kraft is much more upset fine (and the lost draft choice). But how does this compare with some other fines that NFL betting fans have seen in the past?
This isn’t the first $1 million fine the league has handed out. In 1999, San Francisco owner Edward DeBartolo, Jr., was fined $1 million after he pled guilty to a felony for his part in a gambling scandal that roiled Louisiana.
The Denver Broncos almost got a $1 million fine, but not quite – in 1998, they were fined $950,000 for working their way around the salary cap between 1996 and 1998.
When Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis pled guilty to federal drug charges in 2004, he faced a $760,000 fine.
Lets you think that Deflategate was the first time the Patriots ran afoul of the league, you’ll want to remember that New England head coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for spying on and stealing the defensive signals for an opposing team in 2007. The team also received a $250,000 fine as part of the disposition of that case.
San Francisco faced a fine of $500,000 in 1990 for violating the league’s policy with regard to corporate ownership.
Jim Irsay, owner of the Indianapolis Colts, received a $500,000 fine for breaking the league’s policy on personal conduct after being arrested for driving while intoxicated. He also faced a six-game suspension.
San Francisco executive Carmen Policy got a $400,000 fine in 2000 for violating the terms of the NFL’s salary cap in 1997. The team also faced a $300,000 fine in the same scandal. Agent Leigh Steinberg even got fined as well for his part in it, having to pony up $250,000.
Cleveland nose tackle Shaun Rogers got a $400,000 fine for carrying a semiautomatic weapon into Cleveland’s airport. He had the handgun inside a carry-on bag.
Bud Adams, owner of the Tennessee Titans, received a $250,000 fine for making obscene gestures at Buffalo fans in 2009.
Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was fined $250,000 for obstruction of an investigation by the Atlanta police into a double homicide after the previous year’s Super Bowl in 2000.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- NFL Betting Predictions for the 2018 Postseason
- Thunder vs Nuggets NBA Odds, Preview & Prediction
- NFL Betting Predictions for Final 3 Weeks of the 2018 Regular Season
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential AFC Conference Winners
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential NFC Conference Winners
- Patriots at Steelers NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Saints vs Panthers NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Eagles at Rams NFL Week 15 Lines & Pick for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Cardinals vs Falcons NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick
- Titans vs Giants NFL Week 15 Spread & Expert Pick
- Dolphins vs Vikings NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Pick
- Raiders vs Bengals NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Packers vs Bears NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Prediction
- Lions at Bills NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Buccaneers vs Ravens NFL Week 15 Betting Odds & Pick
- Browns vs Broncos NFL Week 15 Lines & Game Preview
- Seahawks vs 49ers NFL Week 15 Odds & Game Prediction
- Redskins vs Jaguars NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Pick
- How to Bet Texans vs Jets NFL Week 15 Spread & Prediction
- Chargers at Chiefs NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Betting Predictions for Last Weeks of 2018 Regular Season
- Super Bowl LIII Betting Advice for the 2018 NFL Postseason
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Underdogs
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Favorites
- Eagles vs Cowboys NFL Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Lions at Cardinals NFL Week 14 Spread & Expert Analysis
- How to Bet Steelers vs Raiders NFL Week 14 Odds & Pick
- Vikings at Seahawks NFL Week 14 Lines & Pick for Monday Night
- Giants vs Redskins NFL Week 14 Odds & Betting Prediction
- Falcons vs Packers NFL Week 14 Spread & Game Prediction