There are four first-year head coaches yet to win their first game this year and Denver’s Vic Fangio is one of them. Probably not going to get it on Sunday, either, as the Broncos are solid NFL betting underdogs at the LA Chargers.
How to Bet Broncos vs Chargers NFL Week 5 Odds & Game Info
- When: Sunday, 4:05 PM ET
- Where: Dignity Health Sports Park
- TV: CBS
- Radio: SiriusXM/NFL
- Live Stream: NFL League Pass
- NFL Week 5 Odds: Los Angeles Chargers -7 (Total 44.5)
These teams split last year. They last met in Week 17 and the Chargers were 23-9 winners in Denver. Philip Rivers was just 14 of 24 for 176 yards and a touchdown and he threw two interceptions in the first quarter, something that’s happened just twice before in Rivers’ 15-year NFL career.
Denver’s offense accounted for just nine points — six on fullback Andy Janovich’s first career touchdown and a chip-shot field goal by Brandon McManus. Denver’s offense also accounted for nine points by the Chargers. That would be the last game as Broncos QB for Case Keenum and for coach Vance Joseph.
- Mostly Sunny: 22°C/71°F
- Humidity: 58%
- Precipitation: 2%
- Cloud Cover: 50%
- Wind: 8 mph SSE
- Stadium Type: Open
Why Bet on Denver?
Not only did the Broncos fall to 0-4 with another last-second lost last week, coming at home to Jacksonville, but they also lost excellent young linebacker Bradley Chubb for the season. As defensive end Shelby Harris put it Sunday following the Broncos’ second last-second loss of the season: “Same s—, different week.”
The big-ticket players John Elway signed in free agency — right tackle Ja’Wuan James (four years, $51 million), defensive back Kareem Jackson (three years, $33 million) and cornerback Bryce Callahan (three years, $21 million) — were all among the game day inactives Sunday due to injuries.
Joe Flacco completed 22-of-38 passes for 303 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in the loss. Flacco delivered some accurate strikes to Emmanuel Sanders and Courtland Sutton alike in the first half. He struggled for a bit after the hot start before efficiently leading the offense on a 75-yard scoring drive in six plays to briefly give the Broncos the lead with just 92 seconds remaining. Sutton caught 6-of-9 targets for 62 yards and two touchdowns and Sanders caught 5-of-9 targets for 104 scoreless yards.
As for Chubb, he said he felt something go wrong with his knee a minute into the fourth quarter Sunday. He did a few tests and it was determined the knee was stable enough to continue playing, even if there was some discomfort. It’s was Chubb’s second ACL tear to left knee. The first occurred seven years to day of his injury Sunday.
How’s this for a quote when Chubb got the diagnosis: “I’m happy this actually happened to me because I feel like in life, I was getting a little too complacent. With 12 sacks as a rookie, it’s kind of hard to keep that same grind, get that same thing. So I’m really happy that this happened to me because it’s a humbling experience.”
Why Bet on Los Angeles?
The Chargers improved to 2-2 with a 30-10 win over Miami in Week 4. Philip Rivers completed 24-of-30 passes for 301 yards and two touchdowns. Even without Mike Williams and Travis Benjamin due to injuries, Rivers only had six incompletions. He did almost all his damage on short passes, with his touchdowns going to Austin Ekeler and Troymaine Pope. Rivers broke a tie with Tom Brady for No. 3 all-time in 70-percent completion games with 71.
Ekeler had 18 carries for 60 yards and a touchdown and caught five passes for 62 yards and a second score. Ekeler gave the Chargers the lead with an 18-yard catch and run late in the first half and iced the game with a goal-line plunge in the fourth quarter. Melvin Gordon was active after ending his holdout but didn’t play any snaps. Gordon will return to a starting role this week.
Wide receiver Keenan Allen’s 452 yards receiving and 34 receptions are the most a Charger has had through his first four games of a season. Allen caught five passes for 48 yards vs. Miami. Desmond King’s 2.5 sacks marked the single-most sacks by a Chargers defensive back since Rodney Harrison had 3.0 in a Week 1 win in 1998.
Two pieces of bad injury news for the Bolts. Defensive end Melvin Ingram (hamstring) is expected to miss some time, likely a few weeks. Ingram’s absence is bad news for a Chargers team that continues to suffer key injuries at all three levels of their defense. In addition, the team placed receiver Dontrelle Inman (quad) on injured reserve. Inman got the start last week against the Dolphins and produced a 5-76 line on seven targets before getting hurt.
Broncos vs Chargers NFL Week 5 Betting Trends
- Under is 6-0 in the last 6 meetings in Los Angeles
- Road team is 12-4-2 ATS in their last 18 meetings
- Denver are 1-5 SU in their last 6 games against an opponent in the AFC West division
- Denver are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Denver’s last 7 games on the road
- Chargers are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games played in October
- Chargers are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games played in week 5
- The total has gone UNDER in 9 of LA Chargers’ last 13 games against Denver
Expert Final Score Prediction for Broncos vs Chargers
Denver Broncos 17 – LA Chargers 24
More Week 5 NFL Betting News
- Cowboys vs Texans NFL Week 5 Odds & Betting Preview
- Week Five NFL DFS Picks (Ep. 610)
- Jaguars vs Chiefs NFL Week 5 Betting Odds & Prediction
- Vikings vs Eagles NFL 5 Spread & Betting Preview
- Rams at Seahawks NFL Week 5 Lines & Game Info
- Falcons at Steelers NFL Week 5 Odds & Betting Analysis
- Raiders at Chargers NFL Week 5 Spread & Prediction
- Cardinals vs 49ers NFL Week 5 Lines & Expert Pick
- How to Bet Titans vs Bills NFL Week 5 Lines & Game Preview
- Dolphins vs Bengals NFL Week 5 Odds & Preview
- Giants at Panthers NFL Week 5 Spread & Game Info
- Ravens vs Browns NFL Week 5 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Broncos at Jets NFL Week 5 Odds & Prediction
- NFL Week 5 Parlay Picks
Even More Broncos vs Chargers Archived Betting Articles
- Denver Broncos at Los Angeles Chargers: Line and Betting Trends for Week 16
- NFL 2020 Week 9 O/U Picks Expert Analysis
- Chargers 30 vs Broncos 31 Result NFL Week 8 Score
- Chargers vs. Broncos Odds and Computer Picks for Week 8
- QBs Injuries Expert Analysis On How It Affects Their Teams
- AFC West Odds & Picks – 2020 NFL Betting
- NFL AFC West Divisional Odds After Draft
- NFL Betting: AFC West Free Agency Thoughts Week 1
- Chargers 20 vs Broncos 23 Result NFL Week 13 Score
- Chargers vs Broncos 2019 NFL Week 13 Lines & Betting Prediction
- Broncos vs Chargers 2019 NFL Week 5 Odds, Preview & Prediction
- MyBookie Announces First-Ever Online SuperContest
- Chargers at Broncos NFL Week 17 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- How to Bet Broncos vs Chargers NFL Week 11 Spread & Pick