The Jacksonville Jaguars may have picked up a surprising win over the mediocre Miami Dolphins in Week 2 to the shock of NFL odds and betting fans, but they’ll be hard-pressed to beat Tom Brady and the powerful New England Patriots who are sure case contenders to get to Superbowl 50 when they square off in their Week 3 meeting on Sunday. Now, let’s find out if the Jaguars have what it takes to cover the huge spread.
New England rolled to an emphatic 40-32 Week 2 win over Buffalo that wasn’t nearly as close as the final score suggests. The Patriots easily covered the spread as a 1-point underdog as future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady completed 38 of 59 passes for 466 yards and three touchdowns. “We had a lot of good plays, but I think we left a lot of plays out there,” Brady said. “But it’s great to be 2-0.”
Tight end Rob Gronkowski caught seven passes for 113 yards and one touchdown while Julian Edelman added 11 catches for 97 yards and two scores.
Jacksonville recorded a hard-fought 23-20 win over Miami to cash in as a 5.5-point underdog in Week 2 as quarterback Blake Bortles completed 18 of 33 passes for 273 yards, with two touchdowns, no turnovers and no sacks. Wide receiver Allen Robinson caught six passes for a career-high 155 yards and two scores. “From our point of view, we expected this outcome,” Bortles said.
A whopping 70 percent of public bettors likes New England to cover the spread as two-touchdown favorites and so do I after watching New England through two games.
Despite Jacksonville’s sunning Week 2 win over Miami, I don’t think there’s any way the Jags can slow down Brady and new England far more potent offense. The Patriots are averaging 18.0 points per game more than Jacksonville (16.0 ppg) and while they do allow 6.5 points more per game defensively, I believe the Patriots are good for the ATS cover, mostly because it seems like Brady is on a mission after beating the NFL in round 1 of Deflategate.
The Jaguars are 1-4 ATS in their last five games following an SU win and 3-13 ATS in their last 16 games in the month of September. The Patriots are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 games following an SU win and a bankroll-boosting 13-6 ATS in their last 19 home games. Last but not least, the home team is 5-2 ATS in the last seven meetings while the Jaguars are just 1-4 ATS in their last five road dates against the Pats.
64 percent of the betting public likes the Over, but I don’t. Just two of the last 10 meetings between these AFC rivals have topped this game’s 47.5-point O/U Total and the Under is 3-1-1 in the last 5 meetings between these teams.The Pick: New England 31 Jacksonville 14
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- NFL Betting Predictions for the 2018 Postseason
- Thunder vs Nuggets NBA Odds, Preview & Prediction
- NFL Betting Predictions for Final 3 Weeks of the 2018 Regular Season
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential AFC Conference Winners
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential NFC Conference Winners
- Patriots at Steelers NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Saints vs Panthers NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Eagles at Rams NFL Week 15 Lines & Pick for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Cardinals vs Falcons NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick
- Titans vs Giants NFL Week 15 Spread & Expert Pick
- Dolphins vs Vikings NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Pick
- Raiders vs Bengals NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Packers vs Bears NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Prediction
- Lions at Bills NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Buccaneers vs Ravens NFL Week 15 Betting Odds & Pick
- Browns vs Broncos NFL Week 15 Lines & Game Preview
- Seahawks vs 49ers NFL Week 15 Odds & Game Prediction
- Redskins vs Jaguars NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Pick
- How to Bet Texans vs Jets NFL Week 15 Spread & Prediction
- Chargers at Chiefs NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Betting Predictions for Last Weeks of 2018 Regular Season
- Super Bowl LIII Betting Advice for the 2018 NFL Postseason
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Underdogs
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Favorites
- Eagles vs Cowboys NFL Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Lions at Cardinals NFL Week 14 Spread & Expert Analysis
- How to Bet Steelers vs Raiders NFL Week 14 Odds & Pick
- Vikings at Seahawks NFL Week 14 Lines & Pick for Monday Night
- Giants vs Redskins NFL Week 14 Odds & Betting Prediction
- Falcons vs Packers NFL Week 14 Spread & Game Prediction