If you’re an NFL betting fanatic or pro football betting enthusiast that is need of an offseason NFL football fix, then you’re in luck thanks to this mybookie.ag NFL comparison column original. This time, we’re going to take an in-depth look at the Hall of Fame careers of former Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett in an effort to determine which legendary back was the best player over the course of his career with ‘America’s Team. If you saw both players play at some point in their respective careers, then you likely have your own opinion on which back was the ‘better’ player. If you’re a younger NFL fan that didn’t see one or either of these elite running backs, then again, you’re in for a treat! Let’s get started with the speedy Dorsett.
On Monday, January 3, 1983 in a game against the Minnesota Vikings that I saw firsthand, Dorsett ran for a 99-yard touchdown to set an NFL record that still stands to this day. Oddly enough, the Cowboys were undermanned at the time, having only ten players on the field during the play.
Dorsett made the Pro Bowl four times during his career (1978, 1981-1983) and rushed for over 1,000 yards in eight of his first nine seasons. The only season during that time that he didn’t reach the 1,000 rushing yards milestone was the strike shortened season of 1982 which had only nine games. Still, Dorsett led the NFC in rushing with 745 yards.
‘TD’ was elected to both, the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994 and was enshrined in the Texas Stadium Ring of Honor the same year.
Dorsett was undoubtedly more elusive, making him harder to tackle in my estimation, although I will say that Smith was the more powerful runner of the two – an an absolute load to bring down once he got a head of steam going.
For me, statistics can often be misleading. Just because Emmitt Smith is the league’s all-time leading rusher, does that make him the league’s greatest runner ever?
Not for me – that title belongs to former Chicago Bears running back Walter Payton, followed closely by both, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown.
That’s not to say that Smith isn’t one of the all-time greats. To suggest such would be sheer nonsense. What I am saying though is that Smith’s greatness has been surpassed by several other runners in the league’s lengthy history – even by his fellow former Dallas Cowboy – Tony Dorsett.
The Pick: Tony Dorsett
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- NFL Betting Predictions for the 2018 Postseason
- Thunder vs Nuggets NBA Odds, Preview & Prediction
- NFL Betting Predictions for Final 3 Weeks of the 2018 Regular Season
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential AFC Conference Winners
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential NFC Conference Winners
- Patriots at Steelers NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Saints vs Panthers NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Eagles at Rams NFL Week 15 Lines & Pick for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Cardinals vs Falcons NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick
- Titans vs Giants NFL Week 15 Spread & Expert Pick
- Dolphins vs Vikings NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Pick
- Raiders vs Bengals NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Packers vs Bears NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Prediction
- Lions at Bills NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Buccaneers vs Ravens NFL Week 15 Betting Odds & Pick
- Browns vs Broncos NFL Week 15 Lines & Game Preview
- Seahawks vs 49ers NFL Week 15 Odds & Game Prediction
- Redskins vs Jaguars NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Pick
- How to Bet Texans vs Jets NFL Week 15 Spread & Prediction
- Chargers at Chiefs NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Betting Predictions for Last Weeks of 2018 Regular Season
- Super Bowl LIII Betting Advice for the 2018 NFL Postseason
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Underdogs
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Favorites
- Eagles vs Cowboys NFL Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Lions at Cardinals NFL Week 14 Spread & Expert Analysis
- How to Bet Steelers vs Raiders NFL Week 14 Odds & Pick
- Vikings at Seahawks NFL Week 14 Lines & Pick for Monday Night
- Giants vs Redskins NFL Week 14 Odds & Betting Prediction
- Falcons vs Packers NFL Week 14 Spread & Game Prediction