If you’re old enough to remember Pittsburgh Steelers’ Hall of Fame wide receivers, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth, then you’ve undoubtedly got an opinion on which legendary pass-catcher was the better player. If you’re not old enough to have seen either superstar, that’s okay, you’re about to get a fun-filled education on both players followed by my expert opinion on just which player was the better wide receiver over the course of their now, historic careers. First, let’s take a look back at each player’s career, followed by my thoughts and pick on which players is greatest wide receiver in Pittsburgh Steelers NFL betting history.
At Super Bowl XIV just one year later, the Steelers were trailing the Los Angeles Rams 19-17 early in the fourth quarter when Bradshaw dropped back and heaved a long pass to Stallworth who beat cornerback Rod Perry and took the pass to the ‘house’ for a 73-yard touchdown that would pave the way for Pittsburgh’s 31-19 win and fourth NFL championship. Stallworth finished the game with three receptions for 121 yards and his remarkable touchdown catch landed him on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
Stallworth holds the Super Bowl records for career average yards per catch (24.4 yards) and single-game average, (40.33 yards in Super Bowl XIV). He had 12 touchdown receptions and a string of 17 straight games with a reception in postseason play. Stallworth led the AFC with a career-high 1,395 yards on 80 receptions in 1984, when he was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. Stallworth was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August of 2002.
Two seasons later, Swann and the Steelers reached Super Bowl XIII and Swann once again had an outstanding performance, catching seven passes for 124 yards while scoring the game’s final touchdown for Pittsburgh in their 35-31 win over the Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl opponent for the second time during the decade.
The Steelers made it back to the Super Bowl again in 1979 and for the third consecutive time, Swann’s fingerprints were all over Pittsburgh’s title win as he hauled in five passes for 79 yards and a touchdown in the Steelers’ 31-19 win over the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV. Overall, Swann recorded 364 receiving yards and 398 all-purpose yards in his three Super Bowls, which were both Super Bowl records at the time.
Swann retired following the 1982 season with 336 career receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 touchdowns. He also rushed for 72 yards and gained 739 yards and a touchdown on punt returns. Swann was selected to the Pro Bowl three times (1975, 1977 and 1978) and was selected to the 1970s all-decade team.
Swann was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1993 and the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001.
My Pick: I know John Stallworth was an absolutely fantastic wide receiver in his own right, but for me, I’ve always been partial to more athletic receivers that can jump through the roof and make spectacular grabs in traffic like Lynn Swann did for the duration of his career.
Both players could make the long catch down the field, but I fully believe that Lynn Swann was a much better receiver on patterns that crossed the middle of the field and put wide receivers in the middle of dangerous defensive traffic.
Again, I always liked John Stallworth and I know that his Hall of Fame career speaks for itself, but for me, I’m a Lynn Swann guy and I guess I always will be – unless we’re talking his stint in politics that is.
The Pick: Lynn Swann
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
Sports Betting News Division is proudly brought to you by MyBookie Sportsbook & Casino
- Vikings vs Jets NFL Week 7 Odds & Game Preview
- How to Bet Giants at Falcons NFL Week 7 Spread on Monday Night
- Bengals vs Chiefs NFL Week 7 Lines for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Rams vs 49ers NFL Week 7 Spread & Expert Pick
- Cowboys vs Redskins NFL Week 7 Lines & Prediction
- How to Bet Saints vs Ravens NFL Week 7 Spread & Game Analysis
- Lions at Dolphins NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Pick
- Patriots vs Bears NFL Week 7 Betting Odds & Expert Pick
- Panthers at Eagles NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Preview
- Texans vs Jaguars NFL Week 7 Spread, Prediction & Pick
- Browns vs Buccaneers NFL Week 7 Odds & Prediction
- Bills at Colts NFL Week 7 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Titans vs Chargers NFL Week 7 Odds & Expert Pick
- How to Bet Broncos at Cardinals NFL Week 7 Spread & Pick
- NFL Week 7 Over/Under Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 ATS Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 Parlay Picks
- NFL Week 7 SU Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 Odds, Overview & Predictions for Each Game
- Jaguars vs Cowboys NFL Week 6 Odds & Preview
- 49ers at Packers NFL Week 6 Lines & Prediction
- Chiefs vs Patriots NFL Week 6 Odds & Expert Pick
- Rams at Broncos NFL Week 6 Lines & Expert Pick
- Bills at Texans NFL Week 6 Odds & Game Preview
- Bears vs Dolphins NFL Week 6 Lines Preview & Game Info