In most cases, NFL betting seems to focus on the totals and the spread. However, the growth of sportsbooks on the Internet has raised the popularity of proposition betting as well. Experts in fantasy football have gotten so handy with numbers from week to week that the player proposition odds that they run into are easy to pick. Bettors who know how to select their spots and to do their weekly research can pull in profits from these bets. Prop betting can be fun as well, adding some tension to the outcome of the game. While the bets about wardrobe malfunctions during halftime shows or possible pratfalls during the national anthem are fun to play with, the proposition bets within the game are easier to research. Such items as passing yard from the quarterback to the outcome of the coin toss to the number of defensive touchdowns in the game are all possible proposition wagers.
The truth is that there are many ways to maximize your profits when betting propositions. Rely on the things that you clearly know and can study rather than wasting time on the “dumb luck” propositions. The coin toss? That’s just a dumb bet. Sure, it’s a 50-50 chance that you’ll win, but it’s also a 50-50 bet to lose. But with the right research, you can push your chances well above 50 percent on proposition bets.
One piece of advice is to pay attention to a particular team or division. Following the news about injuries, matchups and other items is difficult to do for more than a few teams, but becoming an expert on a handful of teams gives you a leg up when these bets come into play.
Another tip with proposition bets is to analyze the spread. If a game has gotten out of hand in terms of the margin of the score, the team that’s ahead will tend to turn to the run in order to have the clock run more between plays. The team that’s behind must turn to the pass to move the ball more quickly down the field and try to score. The score at any given time dictates what teams tend to do and on how the statistics tend to turn out.
How does the spread affect this? If a team is favored by 10, its passing numbers may actually suffer because it will spend a great deal of the game running in order to milk the clock. If it’s favored by 3, the team may pass for more yards because it may need to remain competitive for more of the game. On the other hand, of course, the team favored by 10 might pile up a bunch of passing yards in the first half or three quarters before milking the clock. This is where those tendencies come into play. The Dallas Cowboys relied on the pass a lot more before DeMarco Murray emerged to become a strong runner, and now that he has become a Philadelphia Eagle, the Cowboys may have to go back to that ratio if Darren McFadden and Joseph Randle can’t provide as strong a running game.
Winning proposition bets is not a way to build up money quickly. Instead, you have to look at this strategy as more of a marathon, piling up money a bit a time over the course of a long season. With the right research, week after week, you can end up with a nice pile of cash by the time the 17 weeks of the regular season and the postseason have gone by – and your ratio of winning will be much higher than 50 percent.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- How to Bet Ravens at Chargers NFL Week 16 Spread & Prediction
- Bengals vs Browns NFL Week 16 Odds & Prediction
- Redskins vs Titans NFL Week 16 Odds & Pick for Saturday Afternoon
- 2018 NFL Week 16 Odds, Overview & Predictions for Each Game
- NFL Betting Predictions for the 2018 Postseason
- Thunder vs Nuggets NBA Odds, Preview & Prediction
- NFL Betting Predictions for Final 3 Weeks of the 2018 Regular Season
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential AFC Conference Winners
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential NFC Conference Winners
- Patriots at Steelers NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Saints vs Panthers NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Eagles at Rams NFL Week 15 Lines & Pick for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Cardinals vs Falcons NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick
- Titans vs Giants NFL Week 15 Spread & Expert Pick
- Dolphins vs Vikings NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Pick
- Raiders vs Bengals NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Packers vs Bears NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Prediction
- Lions at Bills NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Buccaneers vs Ravens NFL Week 15 Betting Odds & Pick
- Browns vs Broncos NFL Week 15 Lines & Game Preview
- Seahawks vs 49ers NFL Week 15 Odds & Game Prediction
- Redskins vs Jaguars NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Pick
- How to Bet Texans vs Jets NFL Week 15 Spread & Prediction
- Chargers at Chiefs NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Betting Predictions for Last Weeks of 2018 Regular Season
- Super Bowl LIII Betting Advice for the 2018 NFL Postseason
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Underdogs
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Favorites
- Eagles vs Cowboys NFL Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Lions at Cardinals NFL Week 14 Spread & Expert Analysis