No matter what age you may be, if you’re a serious NFL betting follower, then you almost assuredly know something about legendary Hall of Fame running back Gayle Sayers. While former running back Terrell Davis may not be the household name that Sayers always will be, the former Denver Broncos superstar ha a career that nearly mirrored that of Sayers, even if he isn’t quite remembered in the annals of league history they way Sayers is. Nevertheless, both players had very similar careers, making them perfect candidates for this mybookie.ag NFL comparison column original. With the NFL offseason dragging along and pro football fans and bettors in need of some sort of a fix, this fun-filled comparison on the careers of Sayers and Davis will be just what the doctor ordered. Sayers’ gridiron genius earned him a place in the Pro Football Hall of Fame while Davis’ special abilities helped the Denver Broncos win consecutive Super Bowl titles in 1997 and 1998. My question now, is simple. Which fleet-footed running back was the better player? Let’s take a look at the careers of both players before I make my selection.
Sayers continued to shine in 1967, averaging 4.7 yards per carry and well into the 1968 season. Then, in the ninth game that season, Sayers suffered a knee injury that required immediate surgery. After a tortuous rehabilitation program, Sayers came back in 1969 to rush for 1,032 yards to earn the league’s Comeback Player of the Year honors that season.
Unfortunately, Sayers was never the same after his initial knee injury and more injuries continued to take their toll on arguably the most elusive running back in league history and just before the 1972 season, Sayers decided to hang his cleats up.
In his relatively brief career, Sayers left an impression on the game that can never be forgotten. His career totals show 4,956 rushing yards and a jaw-dropping 9,435 combined net yards, not to mention, 336 points scored.
At the time of his retirement, Sayers was the NFL’s all-time leader in kickoff returns. The Bears legend also garnered All-NFL honors five consecutive years and was named Offensive Player of the Game in three of the four Pro Bowls in which he played.
My Pick: I never saw Gale Sayers play live, (I was thisclose) but I am convinced that he was literally, in a class of his own. Don’t get me wrong, by no means whatsoever was Terrell Davis chopped liver and again, I believe he should have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but for me, Gale Sayers, (next to Barry Sanders), was the most elusive running back of all-time and a player that could beat you in more ways than anyone not named Walter Payton.
Not only was Gale Sayers a threat to score every time he touched the ball from his running back position, but he was also one of the greatest return men in NFL history and could throw the ball better than some of today’s confused signal-callers. In closing, I’m going to give Sayers the nod over Davis in a close, close call.
The Pick: Gayle Sayers
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
- NFL Betting Predictions for the 2018 Postseason
- Thunder vs Nuggets NBA Odds, Preview & Prediction
- NFL Betting Predictions for Final 3 Weeks of the 2018 Regular Season
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential AFC Conference Winners
- NFL Betting Projections for Potential NFC Conference Winners
- Patriots at Steelers NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Saints vs Panthers NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Monday Night
- Eagles at Rams NFL Week 15 Lines & Pick for Sunday Night
- How to Bet Cardinals vs Falcons NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick
- Titans vs Giants NFL Week 15 Spread & Expert Pick
- Dolphins vs Vikings NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Pick
- Raiders vs Bengals NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Analysis
- Packers vs Bears NFL Week 15 Lines & Expert Prediction
- Lions at Bills NFL Week 15 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Buccaneers vs Ravens NFL Week 15 Betting Odds & Pick
- Browns vs Broncos NFL Week 15 Lines & Game Preview
- Seahawks vs 49ers NFL Week 15 Odds & Game Prediction
- Redskins vs Jaguars NFL Week 15 Lines & Betting Pick
- How to Bet Texans vs Jets NFL Week 15 Spread & Prediction
- Chargers at Chiefs NFL Week 15 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Betting Predictions for Last Weeks of 2018 Regular Season
- Super Bowl LIII Betting Advice for the 2018 NFL Postseason
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Underdogs
- A Look at the Past 7 Super Bowl Betting Favorites
- Eagles vs Cowboys NFL Week 14 Odds & Analysis
- Lions at Cardinals NFL Week 14 Spread & Expert Analysis
- How to Bet Steelers vs Raiders NFL Week 14 Odds & Pick
- Vikings at Seahawks NFL Week 14 Lines & Pick for Monday Night
- Giants vs Redskins NFL Week 14 Odds & Betting Prediction
- Falcons vs Packers NFL Week 14 Spread & Game Prediction