During the fourth round, the New York Jets may finally have found an answer to their quarterback issues when they traded up in the draft to choose Baylor’s Bryce Petty. They only moved up one spot, trading with the Jaguars, but they were worried that other teams were trying to jump into that spot and take him. Questions have swirled around Geno Smith for some time now, and the Jets apparently aren’t convinced that he is the quarterback to carry them into the future. Let’s review how this decision will affect the rest of the team and this season’s NFL betting results. Of course, Petty has some issues of his own coming into the new season. At Baylor, Petty ran a spread offense. This means that there are no pre-snap reads; instead, the quarterback knows where he is going with the ball before the snap and doesn’t make changes. This can be problematic with NFL defenses, which are quicker and more capable of exposing that sort of offense. For now, the Jets don’t plan for him to be their starter, which puts him behind Geno Smith – at least until the Jets tire of Smith’s poor results and/or Petty picks enough to show that he is ready to be the #1 signal-caller. Super Bowl III. This is why there is such anticipation as to what Bryce Petty can do for this long-suffering franchise.
At Baylor, Petty threw for 8,195 yards in four seasons. He had 62 touchdown passes against a paltry 10 interceptions. Many talent evaluators considered Petty the third most talented quarterback in the draft, with only Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota ahead of him. When Petty saw four other quarterbacks go before him in the draft, though, he became a real value pick for the Jets. This team just might have waited until the fourth round to find a quarterback who can get them where they want to go as the starter in 2016.
Part of Petty’s learning curve will involve making those pre-snap reads and adjusting to NFL coverages. Those decisions right before and after the snap are about to become a lot more difficult. Petty realizes that, but when meeting with Gailey, he also found that the Jets will incorporate some of the same schemes and dynamics that Baylor used.
For Jets fans, the years of suffering behind the Patriots and the Dolphins may be about to ease. With any luck, Bryce Petty will turn out to be the same transcendent talent in the NFL that he was for the Baylor Bears.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
Sports Betting News Division is proudly brought to you by MyBookie Sportsbook & Casino
- How to Bet Broncos at Cardinals NFL Week 7 Spread & Pick
- NFL Week 7 Over/Under Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 ATS Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 Parlay Picks
- NFL Week 7 SU Betting Picks
- NFL Week 7 Odds, Overview & Predictions for Each Game
- Jaguars vs Cowboys NFL Week 6 Odds & Preview
- 49ers at Packers NFL Week 6 Lines & Prediction
- Chiefs vs Patriots NFL Week 6 Odds & Expert Pick
- Rams at Broncos NFL Week 6 Lines & Expert Pick
- Bills at Texans NFL Week 6 Odds & Game Preview
- Bears vs Dolphins NFL Week 6 Lines Preview & Game Info
- How to Bet Chargers vs Browns NFL Week 6 Lines & Pick
- Steelers at Bengals NFL Week 6 Spread & Expert Pick
- Cardinals vs Vikings NFL Week 6 Odds & Prediction
- Seahawks at Raiders NFL Week 6 Lines & Prediction
- Panthers vs Redskins NFL Week 6 Odds & Expert Analysis
- Colts at Jets NFL Week 6 Lines, Preview & Pick
- Buccaneers vs Falcons NFL Week 6 Betting Lines & Prediction
- Eagles at Giants NFL Week 6 Odds & Pick for Thursday Night
- NFL Week 6 Parlay Picks
- NFL Week 6 Over/Under Betting Picks
- NFL Week 6 ATS Betting Picks
- NFL Week 6 SU Betting Picks
- NFL Week 6 Odds, Overview & Predictions for Each Game