It wasn’t that long ago that Johnny Manziel was one of the hottest properties among NFL betting fans. He won the Heisman Trophy at Texas A&M as a freshman and led a riveting upset of the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide – on the road. It seemed like there was no stopping Johnny Football, and as close to the Aggies got to winning the SEC during that heady freshman year, it seemed certain that the Aggies would be headed to the BCS title game if Manziel would only come back for a sophomore season instead of going right to the pros.
But then reality began to hit. In Manziel’s sophomore season, the Aggies foundered a bit, but Manziel’s athleticism was such that he still seemed like a lock to fit in somewhere. There was that whole autograph scandal, but the NCAA figured things out, and everyone seemed to move on. There was even a bit of sympathy for Manziel – shouldn’t players have some sort of rights? Texas A&M was selling jerseys with Johnny Manziel‘s number on them and making money, so why shouldn’t Johnny have the right to make some money too?
Cleveland Browns finally picked him.
Cleveland couldn’t have been an ideal destination for someone who was looking at the league as a source of glitz and glamour. However, he promised that he would buckle down and get to work, the apparent backup to Brian Hoyer, a journeyman who didn’t seem like he would lead the Browns to greatness. Nonetheless, the season got underway, with Manziel only getting onto the field occasionally.
Eventually, the Browns could no longer go with Hoyer, who had a penchant for doing just well enough to keep the Browns in the game until late, only to throw a horrible interception or simply have drives falter because of inaccurate throws. So on came Manziel. His first start was a 30-0 drubbing by the Bengals. He wasn’t the first rookie quarterback to have his first start go so poorly. However, his next start wasn’t a lot better. There started to be some grumbling around the team about Manziel’s work ethic (late on a regular basis to practices and meetings, failing to put in as much work for game preparation as the others, and so on). When Manziel entered rehab near the end of the football season in order to deal with an alcohol problem, some saw this as a sign of responsibility, while others saw it as another attention grabbing strategy.
Sports & Betting Topics
Latest News, Tips & Expert Picks
- NFL 2021 Conference Championship Playoffs Power Rankings
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NFL Update – Jan. 21st Edition
- Super Bowl 55 Possible Matchups: Buffalo Bills
- NFL Rumors & News: Jags Dust off Urban and Deshaun Wants Out of Houston
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Green Bay Packers NFC Championship Round: Odds and Early Picks
- Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs: AFC Championship Round Odds and Computer Picks January 24, 2021
- Possible Super Bowl Matchups After Divisional Round Games
- NFL 2021 Power Rankings After Divisional Round Games
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints NFC Divisional Round: Odds and Early Picks
- Printable Playoff Bracket, Print 2020-2021 Super Bowl 55 Playoff Picture
- Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs: AFC Divisional Round Odds and Computer Picks January 17, 2021
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Traditions Affected By The COVID-19
- Does Patrick Mahomes Need To Win The Super Bowl Again?
- NFL Rumors & Betting News January 14th Edition
- Super Bowl LV Odds Update January 14th Edition