If you’re looking for one lock of a Week 1 NFL free pick, then look no further MyBookie.ag NFL betting gamblers! You see, when Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers play host to Blake Bortles and the perpetually-rebuilding Jacksonville Jaguars, the outcome could probably be etched in stone. Now, let’s find out why.
Despite averaging a modest 17.2 points per game in the preseason, Jacksonville (3-13 SU, 6-9-1 ATS) managed to record a respectable 2-2 SU and ATS mark. More importantly however is the growth that second-year quarterback Blake Bortles showed after largely struggling during his rookie season a year ago.
Bortles completed an impressive 39 of 60 passes (65 percent) for 461 yards with one touchdown pass – and more importantly – no interceptions, to finish the scrimmage season with a stellar quarterback rating of 93.8.
Last season, the former Central Florida star was limited to 17 TD passes and 11 interceptions. Unfortunately, Jacksonville will hit the 2015 regular season resembling a bunch of walking wounded warriors.
The biggest loss for the Jags comes in the form of tight end Julius Thomas going down with a fractured hand he suffered in the first preseason. Recent reports say Thomas now needs surgery and likely won’t be able to play until around Week 4.
The loss of the gifted tight end is just one of many costly ones for Jacksonville. Starting defensive end Andre Branch will be out for several weeks and a trio of expected key contributors is also lost for the season in the forms of tackle Josh Wells, defensive tackle Ziggy Hood and wide receiver Arrelius Benn.
The Panthers (8-9-1 SU, 9-8-1 ATS) are also quite banged up as they get set for their opener. The good news is that Carolina went 3-1 SU and ATS during the scrimmage season though they lost a heartbreaker to New England in Week 3 with both teams’ starters playing a full half.
Still, the two-time defending NFC South division champions have big goals for the 2015 season and it all starts with dual-threat quarterback Cam Newton, who recently told reporters that, all injuries aside, the Panthers are fired up fir the start of the new season.
“We better be ready,” Newton said. “There’s a lot of anticipation going into Week 1. We have to have a great week of practice to carry over the things that we’ve been building up to this point — from great OTAs and a great training camp. We need a lot of guys ready to go.”
Like their counterparts in this Week 1 opener, the Panthers have been hit pretty hard with injuries this preseason. Wide receivers Kelvin Benjamin and Stephen Hill, along with defensive end Frank Alexander, were all lost to season-ending injuries during the first three weeks of August.
The Panthers also didn’t get regular repetitions for their top defensive linemen with several of their starters barely playing this preseason.
“We’ve got to get some guys back healthy; I think that’s been the story of the preseason,” tight end Greg Olsen said. “What we have on paper, you want to make sure that’s the team we roll out there with. If you can go into this first game with as full of a roster as you can, you give yourself a chance.”
Still, the anthers have at least nine players with injuries to some degree, although I don’t think it will matter much against the lowly Jags, even though 49 percent of simulations show Jacksonville ‘holding it down’ at home in this one.
A whopping 66.7 percent of the betting public likes Carolina to handle their business and put Jacksonville in their place and so do I.
Sports & Betting Topics
- NFL Conference Round Over/Under Betting Picks
- NFL Conference Round SU Betting Predictions & Picks
- NFL Conference Round ATS Betting Predictions & Picks
- 2019 NFL Conference Round Parlay Picks
- Rams at Saints NFC Championship Lines, Preview & Pick
- Patriots vs Chiefs AFC Championship Odds & Expert Prediction
- Updated Super Bowl LIII Odds – January 14th Edition
- Podcast: NFL Divisional Round Playoff Picks (Ep. 652)
- NFL Divisional Round Parlay Picks
- NFC Divisional Round Betting Analysis & Picks
- AFC Divisional Round Betting Analysis & Picks
- NFL Divisional Round Against the Spread Betting Picks
- NFL Divisional Round Over/Under Picks
- Eagles vs Saints NFC Divisional Round Spread & Prediction
- Chargers vs Patriots AFC Divisional Round Lines & Analysis
- Cowboys vs Rams NFC Divisional Round Betting Odds & Pick
- Colts vs Chiefs AFC Divisional Round Odds & Game Preview
- 2019 NFL Divisional Round Betting Guide
- Updated NFL Odds to Win the NFC – January 2nd
- Updated NFL Odds to Win the AFC – January 2nd
- Updated Super Bowl LIII Odds – January 2nd Edition
- Colts vs Texans 2018 AFC Wild Card Betting Lines & Game Preview
- New England Patriots 2018 NFL Postseason Betting Analysis
- Seahawks vs Cowboys 2018 NFC Wild Card Odds & Pick
- Eagles vs Bears 2018 NFC Wild Card Lines & Preview
- 2018 NFL Wild Card Round Betting Predictions
- Chargers at Ravens 2018 AFC Wild Card Odds & Expert Pick
- New Orleans Saints 2018 NFL Postseason Betting Analysis
- Los Angeles Rams 2018 NFL Postseason Betting Analysis
- Kansas City Chiefs 2018 NFL Postseason Betting Analysis