2015 NFL Betting: Roster Cuts, Reserve/Injured Returnees and Related Dates
The training camp, even with the return of football and a bevy of activities in the NFL betting odds, is never a happy time for players, especially those who are competing for their jobs. Once the training camps end, we will be seeing the team rosters cut down to 75 players on September 1, and that list will be further reduced to the final 53 players by September 5. Heartbreaking as it is to watch some of our beloved athletes miss the final rosters, the reality is that the league’s rules can only allow for a given number of players, so we (just like the players) have to accept the decisions and move on.
— NFL (@NFL) August 20, 2015
Already, the cuts have started taking place. For example, former U.S. Army Green Beret and Seahawks rookie long-snapper Nate Boyer was released from the Seattle team on Tuesday, supposedly to create space for quarterback Jake Waters (who would be filling in for injured backup Tarvaris Jackson. As the end of August continually approaches, we will be seeing more of the names falling off the team rosters.
While we continue to prepare for the Week 2 preseason games and work through the third week of training camp, here are the calendar dates you should mark in regards to roster cuts and other important roster-related dates:
• September 1st, 3:00 PM CDT: This will be the deadline for all NFL teams to reduce their rosters to 75 players.
• September 5th, 3:00 PM CDT: This will be the deadline for all NFL teams to reduce their rosters to 53 players.
• September 6th: On this date, players released the day prior (on September 5) can be claimed by other teams on waivers. These trades are allowed until 11:00 AM (CDT). After the 11:00 AM deadline, all the players effectively become free agents. Also, after this exercise, teams can start to form practice squads
• September 6th, 3:00 PM CDT: This will be the deadline for the injured players to be placed on Reserve/Injured as “Designated for Return.”
• October 19th: This will be the date when teams are permitted to start practicing players on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness and Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform lists for a period not exceeding 21 days.
• November 2nd: On this date, teams will be allowed to return players to the Active/Inactive list, as long as the player has been on the Reserve/Injured list for at least 8 weeks.
• November 3rd, 3:00 PM CST: This day will mark the expiry of NFL’s trade deadline.
Obviously, it’s a long way to go, considering the preseason games are bound to deliver a number of injuries, as was the case in Week 1, plus a host of painful cuts. Nonetheless, using the dates detailed above, you can easily keep tabs on the players your support and know how to make intelligent NFL betting decisions about them and their respective teams.