Two teams had a chance to sweep their Stanley Cup first-round playoff series on Wednesday night. The Anaheim Ducks, the top seed in the Western Conference, did finish off the Winnipeg Jets. The Montreal Canadiens, the No. 2 seed in the East, weren’t able to oust rival Ottawa in four so the series heads back to Montreal for Friday’s Game 5 and you know the Habs don’t want to go back to Ottawa. The Habs are -161 favorites on NHL odds for Friday’s game with a total of 5 goals.
There was never really doubt who Ottawa was going to start at goalie in Game 4. Rookie Andrew Hammond allowed seven combined goals in losses in Games 1 and 2 in Montreal. He was replaced by veteran Craig Anderson in Game 3 and Anderson played well enough to win, but the Canadiens prevailed 2-1 in overtime. Anderson was brilliant in Wednesday’s 1-0 win. He made 28 saves, the best likely against Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec on his booming shot from the slot late in the third period, to earn No. 1 star status. Mike Hoffman beat Montreal goalie and likely Vezina Trophy winner Carey Price at the 9:05 mark of the third period, Hoffman’s first goal of the series. He led the team with 27 goals this season. Price made 31 saves on the night.
“We’re comfortable playing in these types of games, but we didn’t generate the chances we wanted to. They played desperate hockey. They really stifled us this time,” said Price. “Anderson played well. You can’t be too hard on yourself in a game like that. We got the bounce last game, they got the bounce this game; that’s playoff hockey.”
The Senators made a couple of lineup changes for Game 3. The only new player was center Zach Smith in for David Legwand. Smith only played 6:11. The big one was that Coach Dave Cameron took Hoffman off the fourth line to skate with Mika Zibanejad and Bobby Ryan on the top line, while Milan Michalek skated with Smith and Chris Neil.
Montreal played Game 4 without defenseman Nathan Beaulieu as he was injured on a Game 3 hit by Ottawa star defenseman Erik Karlsson. Beaulieu will not play the rest of this series. He has one assist in three playoff games and had one goal and eight assists in 64 regular-season games. Greg Pateryn, who had played just 20 career NHL games, replaced him in Game 4. He played 7:48 and had five hits, including big back-to-back hits on Erik Condra and Jean-Gabriel Pageau.
The Canadiens still have all the numbers behind them. The team has never lost a series it led 3-0 and is 28-0 all-time when holding a 3-1 series lead. This will be just the 12th Friday night home playoff game in franchise history and Montreal is 9-2 in the previous 11. This could easily be a 3-1 Ottawa lead as the Senators have scored the first goal in all four games.
Sports & Betting Topics
- Sabres vs Flames NHL Betting Lines & Game Analysis
- Bruins at Flyers NHL Odds & Betting Prediction
- How to Bet Oilers vs Canucks NHL Spread & Expert Prediction
- Golden Knights vs Jets NHL Odds & Game Preview
- Penguins vs Sharks NHL Spread & Game Preview
- Lightning vs Stars NHL Lines & Betting Prediction
- Updated 2019 Stanley Cup Odds – January 14th Edition
- Top NHL Betting Picks of the Week – January 14th Edition
- Penguins vs Ducks NHL Odds, Pick & Preview
- Panthers vs Flames NHL Betting Lines & Game Analysis
- How to Bet Red Wings vs Jets NHL Spread & Prediction
- Sabres vs Hurricanes NHL Week 15 Betting Preview & Pick
- Islanders vs Rangers NHL Betting Lines & Game Preview
- Predators at Blue Jackets NHL Spread & Expert Prediction
- Capitals vs Bruins NHL Week 15 Odds & Game Analysis
- Predators vs Blackhawks NHL Odds & Expert Pick
- Senators vs Ducks NHL Lines & Betting Prediction
- Avalanche vs Flames NHL Spread & Game Preview
- Blue Jackets at Lightning NHL Week 15 Betting Odds & Analysis
- Top NHL Betting Picks of the Week – January 7th
- Golden Knights at Ducks NHL Betting Odds & Game Info
- Capitals vs Stars NHL Betting Lines & Game Info
- Jets vs Penguins NHL Week 14 Odds & Prediction
- How to Bet Flames at Bruins NHL Spread & Pick for Thursday Night
- Wild vs Maple Leafs NHL Week 13 Odds & Game Preview
- How to Bet Sharks at Avalanche NHL Odds & Game Info
- Top NHL Betting Picks of the Week – December 31st Edition
- Ducks vs Sharks NHL Odds, Preview & Prediction for Thursday Night
- Top NHL Betting Picks of the Week – December 24th Edition
- Updated 2019 Stanley Cup Odds – December 21st Edition