NHL Odds & Playoffs Game 2 Preview: Blue Jackets vs. Capitals
One of the biggest mistakes that we make as bettors is to look at what a team did in the regular season and assume that their form will carry over into the playoffs. The sports world is littered with dominant regular season teams who fell at the first hurdle once the postseason rolled around. In the world of hockey, no team has worn that label quite as well as the Washington Capitals. They are a team that has picked up the President’s Trophy for best regular season record in the NHL with stunning regularity, but who have failed to show up once the quest for the Stanley Cup begins, no matter what the NHL odds indicate about them.
It seems as though every postseason begins with people asking whether this will be the year when the NHL betting favorites Washington Capitals finally break through and make a deep run in the playoffs. It may still happen this season, but they are already in a hole after losing Game 1 of their opening-round series to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and on home ice, too. If they do not get the win in Game 2, we may once again see them vanish without a trace.
Columbus at Washington NHL Odds & Playoffs Game 2 Preview
Game One highlights ⤵ pic.twitter.com/O0R44o5K5p
— x – Columbus Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) 13 de abril de 2018
- When: Sunday, April 15 at 7:30 PM EST
- Where: Verizon Center, Washington
- TV: NBCSN
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: NHL.tv
- NHL Odds: Washington Capitals -160 (Over/Under at 5.5 points)
- All: Columbus Blue Jackets 46-30-7 / Washington Capitals 49-26-8
- Home: Columbus Blue Jackets 26-12-3 / Washington Capitals 28-11-3
- Away: Columbus Blue Jackets 20-18-4 / Washington Capitals 21-15-5
- ATS: Columbus Blue Jackets 36-47 / Washington Capitals 39-44
- Over/Under: Columbus Blue Jackets 42-41 / Washington Capitals 47-34-2
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Score: Columbus Blue Jackets 2.40 / Washington Capitals 2.80
- Shots: Columbus Blue Jackets 31.90 / Washington Capitals 26.60
- Power Play Goals: Columbus Blue Jackets 6 / Washington Capitals 7
- Number of Power Plays: Columbus Blue Jackets 29 / Washington Capitals 28
- Power Play Percentage: Columbus Blue Jackets 20.69 / Washington Capitals 25.00
- Penalty Kill Percentage: Columbus Blue Jackets 75.00 / Washington Capitals 79.31
Why Consider the NHL Odds for the Blue Jackets?
The Columbus Blue Jackets are very familiar with Washington given that these two play in the same division, but they must not have come into this series with much confidence. The Blue Jackets had only 1 win in their last 7 meetings with the Caps, leading many to believe that this series might be over quickly. Columbus will be a confident bunch now, though, after coming from behind to steal a 4-3 win in OT in Game 1.
While the Blue Jackets haven’t had much success against Washington in recent years, it wasn’t as though they were consistently being blown out, with 4 of their last 6 defeats at the hands of the Caps coming by a single goal. If they can get another win in Game 2, the seeds of doubt will be seriously planted in the heads of the Washington Capitals players, fans, and coaching staff.
- Goals: 2.96
- Shots: 33.61
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.60
- Goals: 2.81
- Shots: 31.29
- PP/PK Percentage: 24.20
Why Consider the NHL Odds for the Capitals?
Artemi Panarin was more often than not the man doing much of the damage for the Blue Jackets during the regular season, racking up 82 points. Panarin was the hero once again in Game 1, as it was his OT goal that ensured that Columbus would be heading back home with at least a split after the opening 2 games. His goal must have the Washington Capitals fan on edge, as they have grown all too accustomed to seeing their team wither and die once the postseason begins.
Game 1 looked to be in hand for the Capitals, but once they gave up the tying goal to make it 3-3, you just got the sense that things were going to wrong from that point forward. This is an incredibly talented team, which is why it is so hard to understand their postseason troubles.
- Goals: 3.16
- Shots: 29.02
- PP/PK Percentage: 22.89
- Goals: 2.93
- Shots: 31.81
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.15
Latest NHL Betting Trends for 2018 Playoffs
- Washington is 9-5 against the spread versus Columbus over the last 3 seasons
- Washington is 9-5-0 straight up against Columbus over the last 3 seasons
- 6 of 10 games in this series have gone Over the Total over the last 3 seasons
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
Losing the opening game at home is bad, but it’s not the end of the world. In regular season play, the Capitals have won 6 of their last 7 against Columbus, so I would expect them to take Game 2 to get back in this series.
Score: Columbus Blue Jackets 2 – Washington Capitals 4