Sharks Come in as Underdogs at the NHL Spread Against the Ducks
The road to the Stanley Cup seems straightforward enough, as every team in the playoffs knows that their goal is to win 16 games over the course of the next couple of months. While the math may be simple, actually winning those games becomes a chore, especially when you consider that only 1 of the 16 games in the postseason will accomplish the feat. With all the Game 1’s now in the books, there are 8 teams who have already taken that first step, with the question now being whether or not they can take a stranglehold on the series by winning Game 2, no matter what the NHL spread for each one of them dictate.
That will be the task at hand for the San Jose Sharks, who are coming off a convincing 3-0 win over the odds favorite Anaheim Ducks in Game 1 of their first-round series. It was a big win for the Sharks, as the goal of every team on the road for the opening 2 games of a series is to get the split, which San Jose has now accomplished. Game 2 will once again be in Anaheim and will be the late game on Saturday night.
San Jose at Anaheim NHL Spread & Expert Betting Pick
— San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) 13 de abril de 2018
- When: Saturday, April 14 at 10:30 PM EST
- Where: Honda Center, Anaheim
- TV: NBCSN
- Radio: TuneIn
- Live Stream: NHL.tv
- NHL Spread: Anaheim Ducks -1.5 (Over/Under at 5 goals)
- All: San Jose Sharks 46-27-10 / Anaheim Ducks 44-26-13
- Home: San Jose Sharks 25-13-3 / Anaheim Ducks 26-11-5
- Away: San Jose Sharks 21-14-7 / Anaheim Ducks 18-15-8
- ATS: San Jose Sharks 40-43 / Anaheim Ducks 44-39
- Over/Under: San Jose Sharks 37-45-1 / Anaheim Ducks 32-50-1
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Score: San Jose Sharks 2.60 / Anaheim Ducks 1.90
- Shots: San Jose Sharks 32.80 / Anaheim Ducks 28.40
- Power Play Goals: San Jose Sharks 7 / Anaheim Ducks 2
- Number of Power Plays: San Jose Sharks 35 / Anaheim Ducks 21
- Power Play Percentage: San Jose Sharks 20.00 / Anaheim Ducks 9.52
- Penalty Kill Percentage: San Jose Sharks 90.48 / Anaheim Ducks 80.00
Why bet on the San Jose Sharks?
The San Jose Sharks went into Anaheim for Game 1 of this series knowing that they were going to have a tough time breaking down a Ducks defense that is one of the best in the NHL. The Sharks managed to generate 34 shots, scoring 3 times in the second period to put this game on ice. The star of the show, at least from an offensive standpoint, was Evander Kane, as he scored 2 of the 3 goals for the Sharks.
The defense deserves some props, too, as they were able to limit the Ducks to just 25 shots, with Martin Jones getting the shutout. The fact that the Sharks goaltender was not named as one of the three stars for the game tells you that the quality of shots that he faced was not particularly troublesome.
- Goals: 3.07
- Shots: 32.95
- PP/PK Percentage: 20.53
- Goals: 2.76
- Shots: 30.28
- PP/PK Percentage: 14.91
Why bet on the Anaheim Ducks?
The big concern for this team heading into the postseason was their inability to generate much in the way of offense. The harsh reality is that the Ducks do not score a lot of goals, relying on defense and tight games for the majority of their wins. As soon as the second goal went in for the Sharks in Game 1, you immediately knew that the Ducks were in serious trouble.
The fact of the matter here is that we really shouldn’t be that surprised at the outcome of the opening game in the series, especially when you consider that the Sharks took 3 of 4 from the Ducks in the regular season, including both games played in Anaheim. The Ducks now really need a win in Game 2, as it is going to be tough for them to dig out of a 0-2 hole, especially with the series shifting to San Jose next week.
- Goals: 2.83
- Shots: 30.11
- PP/PK Percentage: 17.05
- Goals: 2.64
- Shots: 33.12
- PP/PK Percentage: 16.79
Latest NHL Betting Trends
- Anaheim is 7-7 (+0.3 Units) against the spread versus San Jose over the last 3 seasons
- Anaheim is 7-7-0 straight up against San Jose over the last 3 seasons
- 9 of 10 games in this series have gone Under the Total over the last 3 seasons
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
While I would certainly expect Anaheim to generate some more offense in Game 2, I still think they are in real trouble here. I am going with the Sharks to upset the NHL spread and head home with the 2-0 series lead.
Score: San Jose Sharks 3 – Anaheim Ducks 2