Olympiakos Piraeus vs. Bayern Munich Soccer Betting PreviewBoth Olympiakos and Bayern come into this game with 100% winning records in their respective leagues so far, meaning this first meeting between the two teams since the 1980-81 season is bound to be an interesting one. Bayern’s offensive performance in the Bundesliga (15 goals scored in four games) has particularly been commendable, considering the team has been without star wingers Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, who are also likely to miss this game. But then again, with a star-studded team that houses talents like Thomas Muller (who has scored six goals in the four league games), ever-lethal goal machine Robert Lewandowski, Mario Gotze, along with new signings Douglas Costa and Arturo Vidal; it would actually be a surprise if they didn’t do well in the attacking department. As a point of concern, though, Bayern struggled in their 2-1 win over Augsburg at the weekend, relying on a controversial 90th-minute penalty from Muller to secure the three points and their fourth straight win of the Bundesliga this season. Avoiding a slow start, which nearly cost them the game against Augsburg, will thus be vital if the Bavarians are to outclass Olympiakos. The quick start, along with a good offensive showing, will especially be pivotal, as the Greek champions have won all three of their league matches this season and only conceded one goal in the process. In their game over Durmaz, Plantanias this weekend, Olympiakos took care of the winning business quite handily, getting goals from swede Durmaz, Argentine Dominguez and Frenchman Masuaku to put Olympiakos 3-0 up in less than an hour, before Cameroon defender Yaya grabbed a consolation goal for a 3-1 final result. After beating Juventus and Atletico Madrid (who are both finalists in the competition in the last two years), as well as Malmo in the 2014/15 Champions League campaign, the Greek side should not be underestimated from putting up a strong front against Bayern Munich. Mind you, this is a Bayern team that was memorably held to a 0-0 draw by Shakhtar Donetsk, on top of suffering losses to Barcelona, Manchester City and Porto, ALL on the road last season. Given Olympiakos have won 15 of their last 19 home games, with the remaining four of those games ending in draws, this game promises to be a hellish task for the visitors.
Possible Starting Lineups
- Olympiakos: Roberto, Arthur Masuaku, Dimitios Siovas, Manuel da Costa, Omar Elabdellaoui, Giannis Maniatis, Esteban Cambiasso, Hernâni, Alejandro Dominguez, Felipe Pardo, Brown Ideye
- Bayern: Manuel Neuer, Juan Bernat, David Alaba, Jérôme Boateng, Philipp Lahm, Thiago Alcântara, Xabi Alonso, Arturo Vidal, Douglas Costa, Robert Lewandowski, Thomas Müller
- Olympiakos Last Five in All Competitions: WWWDW
- Bayern Last 5 in All Competitions: WLWWW
- Olympiakos Last Six Home Games in the Champions League: WWWWWW
- Bayern Last Six Away Games in the Champions League: LLDLWW
Key Betting Trends
- Olympiakos have never progressed past the quarter-finals. They last managed to reach the Round of 16 in 1999
- Bayern have reached the Champions League final three times over the past six seasons. They have been knocked out at the semifinals twice and Round of16 once in the other three campaigns.
- Olympiakos are unbeaten in their last 11 games in all major competitions
- Bayern are unbeaten in their last 7 games in all major competitions
- Olympiakos are unbeaten in their last 19 home games (W15 D4)
- Bayern are unbeaten in their last two road games, but ended last season by losing 3 games in a row, as well as 4 of their last 5 road games