Unlike us regular Joe’s who have to spend most of our adult lives toiling away at our chosen careers, professional athletes have a limited amount of time to shine. There are a select few – Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky – whose legend lives on beyond their playing career and sports betting relevance, but there are others who made a huge impact who are now little more than an afterthought. The influence these people had on their chosen sport was legendary at the time, but has now been overshadowed by a new breed of pro athlete. Let’s take a look at a few: Back in the 80’s, there was no bigger star than Bo Jackson. He was a physical specimen who excelled in both baseball and football, but his presence transcended the sports he played. He became the spokesperson for Nike, starring in a series of “Bo Knows” ads that showed him excelling at just about everything. Once his career ended, Jackson basically slipped out of the public eye and settled into a quiet life of retirement.
The Women’s World Cup is now a major event on the sporting calendar, but back in 1999, women’s soccer was considered something of a fringe sport at best. The first World Cup helped the sport to grow at an unprecedented rate, and there was one person who brought attention, perhaps for the wrong reasons, to the sport more than any other. The final game saw the US and China play out a hard fought tie, with the game eventually going to penalties. The deciding goal was scored by Brandi Chastain, who whipped off her jersey and fell to her knees in delight, sports bra there for all to see. I imagine a few guys are hoping to see Alex Morgan repeat that performance this year.
Seattle Seahawks in the 80’s. He was a good looking kid with crazy hairdos, and was very much in demand for all sorts of endorsements. He seemed more focused on those, as well as a potential movie career, than he was on football, and he ultimately only played 3 seasons in the NFL. When he was there, though, there were few athletes as popular as him.
There are a lot of people who made “firsts” in sports who are now either forgotten or remembered for something else entirely. Most people probably won’t remember Manon Rheaume as being the only woman to appear in an NHL game, and most will remember Arthur Ashe for his courageous battle with AIDS than for his achievement as being the first African-American to win Wimbledon. It is perhaps the nature of sports that new people constantly come along to steal the spotlight from those who came before them.
Join for Free
Sports & Betting Topics
Sports Betting News Division is proudly brought to you by MyBookie Sportsbook & Casino
- 2016 Oscar Academy Awards Odds Guide
- Every Team’s Worst Head Coach According to NFL Betting Fans
- Eye-Opening NFL and NCAAF Online Betting Breakdown: Who’s Bringing Home the Bacon!
- Online Sportsbook Editorial: Should Peyton Manning Retire?
- MLB Betting Editorial: A Look Back at Zito, Mulder and Hudson
- NBA Odds: Easy Travels: The New NBA Finals Format
- RIP Yogi Berra, A Look Back At His Amazing Life
- Online Betting News: Trouble at Rutgers: Criminal Probes, Academic Misconduct
- NFL Betting Fans Want To Know: Who is Federal Judge Richard Berman?
- Online Betting Editorial: Why The NFL Lost The DeflateGate Case
- Online Betting Fans Vote: The 10 Ugliest NHL Uniforms Ever
- MLB Betting Fans Vote: Ugliest Uniforms Ever
- NBA Betting: The 10 Ugliest NBA Uniforms Ever
- NFL Betting: Will Chris Borland’s Retirement Wreck the NFL?
- NFL Betting: Former Quarterback Erik Kramer’s Tragic Suicide Attempt
- The Olympic Bid Online Betting Update: Los Angeles 2024
- Online Betting: Chris Froome: “I Can Win 5 More Tours”
- NCAAF Betting: More Violations Plague the UNC Athletic Program
- MMA Betting Analysis – Could Ronda Rousey Really Beat Floyd Mayweather?
- Online Betting Bad Choices Soon To Be Out: Tiger Woods and A-Rod
- Online Betting Fans Dare To Dream: The Unlikely Cardale Jones – Ronda Rousey Romance
- 10 Biggest Punishments in Sports Betting History
- Top 7 Most Awkward Interviews in Sportsbetting History
- Sportsbetting Editorial: Bizarre Off-the-field Injuries
- Hall of Shame: Dumbest Injuries NFL Betting Fans Have Ever Seen