2019 Kentucky Derby post-positions and odds are set. None of the favorites are in my Top 3. Omaha Beach is the 4/1 favorite followed by Game Winner at 5/1 and both Roadster and Improbable at 6/1. Check out my Top 3 horses along with updated morning line Kentucky Derby odds and post-position numbers!
2019 Kentucky Derby Top 3 Horses to Bet On
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Odds: 10/1
The morning line doesn’t surprise me because horseplayers are hung up on a couple of things. First, they don’t believe he’s legit even though he easily won the Florida Derby because he broke his maiden in a $16,000 claimer. Second, they don’t feel he can rate.
The horseplayers that believe those things could be wrong on both counts. Maximum Security ran in a $16,000 maiden claimer because trainer Jason Servis had no idea how good he was. He’s a terrible work horse, rarely throwing in a fast work, and Servis thought he didn’t like to run.
The fact he excels on the racetrack means he’s got a sharp mind. Horses like Maximum Security know when they’re working and know when it’s time to get serious. He also seems to thrive on competition and, so far, has responded brilliantly to anything a jockey has asked him to do.
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Odds: 20/1
Vekoma has a wonky stride. That’s one of the reasons he’s offering overlaid 20/1 odds on the morning line. The other reason many horseplayers don’t like Vekoma is because he’s raced greenly in his last two. He looked an easy winner in the Fountain of Youth stakes after a menacing move around the turn, but he ducked in and lost momentum. In the Blue Grass Stakes, he was all over the racetrack in the stretch even though he had a clear lead.
By making Vekoma my second choice, I’m counting on trainer George Weaver to have fixed the issues. Vekoma’s talented enough to take these wire-to-wire. He also knows how to rate. The problem is that he doesn’t run as straight as he should. Weaver is a good enough horseman to have straightened things out.
If I am right, Vekoma will pay handsomely on the bottom of my exacta. If not? Oh, well. That’s horse racing!
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Odds: 30/1
The odds on Spinoff to win the Kentucky Derby on May 4 are downright ridiculous. The fact he’s trained by Todd Pletcher means he’s no worse than 20/1. He also finished second to By My Standards in the Grade 2 Louisiana Derby.
That was only his fourth race, which means there’s room for improvement. Not only that, but he had to go wide while By My Standards caught him running up the rail. Spinoff has a huge shot of pulling off a massive Derby win on Saturday.
Kentucky Derby 2019 Racing News
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Betting Guide
- Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Odds & Picks for Sep. 5th
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Odds & Picks for Sep. 5th
- Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Odds & Pick – Run for the Roses
- 2020 Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Analysis – Tiz the Law
- Kentucky Derby Horse Racing Odds & Betting Update – Tiz the Law Remains a Solid Fave
- 2020 Kentucky Virtual Derby Odds and Preview
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Recap
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Exacta, Trifecta, and Superfecta Picks
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Strategies
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Guide
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Top 3 Horses to Bet On
- 2019 Triple Crown Preview: Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Dark Horses and Longshots
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Favorites
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Props
- 2019 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds, TV Schedule, Entry List & Preview
- Early 2019 Kentucky Derby Odds & Picks