Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels will look to tame highly-touted phenom Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the visiting Toronto Blue Jays when the two AL World Series longshots square off in the middle game of their three-game set on Wednesday night. After recording a narrow, one-run win on Tuesday, let’s find out if Trout and company can extend their winning ways or whether the athletically-gifted ‘Vlad’ and the Jays are the pick to get it done on the road on Wednesday for the middle contest of their three-game series.
The Angels squandered a two-run lead in Tuesday’s opener before Brian Goodwin homered in the eighth inning to give the club a 4-3 victory. Goodwin is riding a four-game hitting streak during which he has gone 5-for-14 and has recorded four two-hit performances in his last 10 contests. Tommy La Stella enters Wednesday with a streak of his own as he has driven in at least one run in each of his last four games, collecting six RBIs during the stretch. Toronto was denied its fourth straight triumph as it managed only five hits in the setback. Randal Grichuk notched two of them to improve to 7-for-18 during his four-game hitting streak.
Blue Jays vs Angels MLB Odds, Preview & Expert Pick
- When: Wednesday, May 01 – 10:07 PM EST
- Where: Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Anaheim, California
- TV: Sportsnet (Toronto), FS West (Los Angeles)
- Radio: Toronto / Los Angeles
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Toronto -111 / Los Angeles -111 / Total: 8.5
- Blue Jays RH Marcus Stroman (1-3, 1.43 ERA)
- Angels RH Felix Pena (0-1, 3.63)
Why Bet On Toronto?
The Blue Jays had won three straight before falling the the Angels 4-3 on Tuesday night. Guerrero Jr. went 0-for-2 but drew a pair of walks while playing the first road game of his career in his Hall of Fame father’s former home ballpark of Angel Stadium. Vladimir Jr. made a fantastic play on a Albert Pujols liner to rob the future Hall of Famer of what would have been a sure-fire hit.
“I’m just excited for him, and excited for Vladdy (Sr.),” Angels star Mike Trout said. “I think he deserves to be here. He’s a great young prospect. It’s going to be exciting to see him this year.”
The Jays got a solo jack from Brandon Drury, but were limited to just five hits in the loss. Still, the Blue Jays have scored four or more runs in eight of their last 10 games. For this contest, right-hander Marcus Stroman gets the call. The former staff ace has been phenomenal in not giving up more than one earned run in each of his last three starts. Stroman tossed seven shutout innings against Oakland on Friday while allowing just one hit and striking out seven. Stroman is 1-1 with a 4.26 ERA and 19 strikeouts in his career against the Angels. Unfortunately, the 27-year-old has lost three of his four decisions this season because Toronto has been limited to a paltry one run on two of those contests.
- Runs: 4.14
- Hits: 7.69
- Walks: 2.83
- Strike Outs: 9.79
- Runs: 3.79
- Hits: 7.00
- Walks: 3.72
- Strike Outs: 8.90
Toronto Blue Jays MLB Betting Trends
- Blue Jays are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. American League West.
- Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 road games.
- Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 games following a loss.
- Blue Jays are 4-1 in their last 5 during game 2 of a series.
- Blue Jays are 5-2 in their last 7 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Blue Jays are 5-2 in their last 7 games vs. a right-handed starter.
- Blue Jays are 7-3 in their last 10 overall.
- Blue Jays are 3-7 in their last 10 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Blue Jays are 2-6 in Stromans’ last 8 starts.
Why Bet On Los Angeles?
The Angels have won two straight and four of five including their win over the Jays on Tuesday. Not only that, but the Halos have scored 31 runs over their last six games while scoring four or more in each contest and putting seven or more on the board twice. On Tuesday, Jonathan Lucroy had a home run and two RBI while Brian Goodwin had two hits including a solo jack. For this contest, the Angels will hand the ball to right-hander Felix Pena. The 29-year-old Dominican, limited the Yankees to two runs (one earned) on four hits while striking out eight in 5.0 innings of a 6-5 loss last Wednesday. In his only career start against Toronto, Pena has allowed three runs on eight hits with one walk and nine strikeouts in six innings.
- Runs: 4.67
- Hits: 7.90
- Walks: 3.67
- Strike Outs: 5.90
- Runs: 4.83
- Hits: 8.37
- Walks: 3.90
- Strike Outs: 8.37
LA Angels MLB Betting Trends
- Angels are 4-1 in their last 5 overall.
- Angels are 16-5 in their last 21 home games vs. a team with a losing record.
- Angels are 23-10 in their last 33 vs. a team with a losing record.
- Angels are 17-37 in their last 54 games vs. a starter with a WHIP less than 1.15.
- Angels are 2-7 in their last 9 vs. American League East.
- Angels are 0-4 in their last 4 during game 2 of a series.
- Angels are 4-1 in Pena’s last 5 starts vs. a team with a losing record.
- Angels are 4-1 in Pena’s last 5 home starts.
- Angels are 1-4 in Pena’s last 5 starts during game 2 of a series.
Expert Analysis and Prediction for Blue Jays vs Angels
For this contest, I’m going to urge MLB bettors everywhere to simply play the under 8.5 total runs seeing as how both, Marcus Stroman and Felix Pena are throwing the ball lights out this season.
The Under is 5-0 in Toronto’s last five games and 4-0 in their last five games against teams from the AL West, The Under is also 5-0 in Marcus Stroman’s last 5 starts during Game 2 of a series and 6-1 in Stroman’s last 7 starts overall. In addition to that, the Under is also 6-1 in the Angels’ last 7 home games vs. a team with a losing record, 4-0 in Felix Pena’s last 4 starts and 6-1 in Pena’s last 7 home starts. In addition to the Under 8.5 runs, I’m going with Los Angeles to scratch out the super narrow win in this one. L.A. has gone 8-2 in their last 10 home games against a right-handed starter and I believe they’ll get the narrow win in this one.
MLB Betting Pick: Angels 3 Blue Jays 2