There is perhaps nothing more exciting in baseball than watching a divisional or Wild Card race go all the way down to the wire. With each team in the league now having surpassed 100 games played, we really are starting to see the season head into the homestretch. For the teams still in the playoff picture, every single game from this point forward takes on a higher level of importance, not to mention stress. Every game is big, but it can be argued that it’s the divisional games that are the ones most fraught with tension.
This is especially true when you are looking at a close race, much like the one we have in the NL Central, where the top 3 teams are separated by just 2 games. It is the Chicago Cubs who have the lead at the moment, with the Cardinals and Brewers in hot pursuit. The Cubs will head to Milwaukee on Friday for a weekend series against the Brewers in what is a huge match-up for both teams. The Cubs are favored by 1 ½, with the run total set at 9 ½.
Cubs vs Brewers MLB Lines, Game Info & Prediction
- When: Friday, July 26 at 8:10 PM EST
- Where: Miller Park, Milwaukee
- Starting Pitchers: Hendricks vs. Gonzalez
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: WFAW
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Lines: Chicago Cubs -115 (Total 9.5)
Why bet on the Chicago Cubs?
Even this far into the regular season, the Cubs are one of the teams that we still really can’t figure out. Their current record of 55-47 is probably below what most of us expected from them, yet they have still found a way to get to the top of the NL Central, albeit sharing the lead with the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cubs come into this one on the heels of a win over the Giants, and one that snapped them out of a 3-game losing skid.
Overall, Chicago has gone 6-4 in their last 10 games, although they are now 1-2 on their current road trip, taking them to 19-29 away from home, which is not very good at all. These two will hook up 9 times between now and the end of the season, with the series currently knotted at 3-3. The Cubs will have Kyle Hendricks (7-8, 3.41 ERA) on the mound for this one.
- Runs: 5.05
- Hits: 8.53
- Walks: 3.76
- Strike Outs: 9.15
- Runs: 4.42
- Hits: 8.43
- Walks: 3.31
- Strike Outs: 8.51
Why bet on the Milwaukee Brewers?
While the Brewers have spent a little bit of time at the top of the division, the reality is that they have spent the majority of it playing catch-up to the Cubs. They are sitting 2 games off the pace being set by their weekend opponents, but now also have to play catch-up to a St. Louis Cardinals team that is suddenly very hot.
Overall, Milwaukee is sitting at 54-50 on the season, but it is at home where they have excelled, going 31-23 in their own ballpark. In the 9 games where they have started at home as an underdog, the Brewers have gone 6-3 ATS. Milwaukee will send Gio Gonzalez (2-1, 3.60 ERA) to the mound on Friday night.
- Runs: 4.90
- Hits: 8.57
- Walks: 3.79
- Strike Outs: 9.51
- Runs: 5.03
- Hits: 8.93
- Walks: 3.51
- Strike Outs: 9.23
Cubs vs Brewers MLB Betting Trends
- Cubs are 6-14 SU in their last 20 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Chi Cubs’ last 5 games when playing on the road against Milwaukee
- Brewers are 6-3 SU in their last 9 games against an opponent in the National League
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Milwaukee’s last 5 games this season
- Cubs are 12-23 against the money line in road games in night games this season
- Brewers are 71-56 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons
- Hendricks is 8-6 when starting against MILWAUKEE with an ERA of 3.22 and a WHIP of 1.134
- Gonzalez is 4-3 when starting against CHICAGO CUBS with an ERA of 3.23 and a WHIP of 1.128
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Cubs vs Brewers
There is a ton of pressure on both of these teams to get something out of this series, and while I think it will be tight over the 3 games, I do like the Brewers to get the win in the opener.
Score: Chicago Cubs 3 – Milwaukee Brewers 5