Betting on any sport is tough, but I would suggest that regularly wagering on baseball is the toughest of them all. This is especially true in the early part of the season when we don’t really have enough raw data to break down in search of trends. In many cases, we are forced to look at the last few games played by each team, as well as the early season performance of the pitchers on the mound on any given day. The problem here, especially with the latter, is that pitchers can have off days even after getting off to a blistering start, while those that are slow out of the gate often get into a groove after a few starts.
In looking at individual games, particularly in a series, we then need to throw out what happened the day before and start fresh. The Arizona Diamondbacks pounded the Pittsburgh Pirates 12-4 in the opening game of this series, but are we going to see the same outcome and high-scoring game in the Tuesday match-up? The Pirates are favored by 1 ½, with the run total set at 7 ½.
Diamondbacks vs Pirates MLB Odds & Expert Pick for Tuesday Night
- When: Tuesday, April 23 at 7:05 PM EST
- Where: PNC Park, Pittsburgh
- Starting Pitchers: Luke Weaver vs. Trevor Williams
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: Pirates Radio Network
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates -115 (Total 8)
Why bet on the Arizona Diamondbacks?The Diamondbacks have been one of the biggest challengers to the Dodgers in the NL West over the last couple of seasons, and while their .500 start to the season is not particularly great, they are still within 2 ½ games of the division leaders. They are now sitting at 6-4 in their last 10 games and will surely have taken some heart from their absolute pounding of the Pirates on Monday.
That win now takes them to 2-2 versus teams from the NL Central, as well as to a very positive 8-6 on the road. The D-Backs have scored 123 runs already this season, but they have also given up 114, so it’s always a decent bet to go with the OVER in their games. Luke Weaver (1-1, 3.92 ERA) will get the start.
- Runs: 5.35
- Hits: 9.70
- Walks: 2.96
- Strike Outs: 9.04
- Runs: 4.96
- Hits: 8.35
- Walks: 3.78
- Strike Outs: 9.04
Why bet on the Pittsburgh Pirates?After going on a 5-game winning run last week, the Pirates have now lost back to back games to fall to 12-8 on the season. That has them tied with the Cardinals for the lead in the NL Central, but that whole division is incredibly tight, so Pittsburgh needs to get back to winning games ASAP if they want to continue to play top dog.
The nature of the loss to the Diamondbacks on Monday night certainly came as a surprise, as the Pirates had only given up a total of 59 runs in the 19 games prior to that one. It will be interesting to see how they bounce back from such a blowout. The Pirates are now 6-4 in their own ballpark and will send Trevor Williams (1-0, 2.59 ERA) to the mound on Monday night.
- Runs: 3.60
- Hits: 7.65
- Walks: 3.25
- Strike Outs: 8.55
- Runs: 3.55
- Hits: 7.30
- Walks: 2.75
- Strike Outs: 9.25
Diamondbacks vs Pirates MLB Betting Trends
- Arizona is 22-6 against the money line when playing on Tuesday over the last 2 seasons
- Arizona is 35-54 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons
- Pittsburgh is 94-87 against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons
- Pittsburgh is 667-590 against the money line in home games in night games since 1997
- 1 of 1 games in this series have gone Over the Total this season
- Weaver is 1-1 when starting against Pittsburgh with an ERA of 3.15 and a WHIP of 1.250
- Williams is 1-2 when starting against Arizona with an ERA of 3.60 and a WHIP of 1.100
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Diamondbacks vs PiratesI am looking at yesterday’s blowout as being nothing more than a blip on the radar for the Pirates. I like them to get back to winning ways on Monday in a game that is a little more on the defensive side of things.
Score: Arizona Diamondbacks 3 – Pittsburgh Pirates 4