We are all guilty of disregarding certain teams before a single game has been played at the start of a new season. Sure, we may admit that those teams may be a little better in the new season, but given how they have performed in recent years, it’s tough to get excited about what they might do. With that in mind, the expectation was that the Washington Nationals would simply stroll to the division crown in the NL East, but a couple of teams have come out of nowhere to perhaps prove us all wrong. The Atlanta Braves are on top right now, but the Philadelphia Phillies are right on their heels, and they are on a winning streak, just as the MLB Lines indicate.The Nationals are starting to put things together, while the New York Mets are currently in freefall. The Phillies will start a weekend series with the Mets on Friday night as the MLB Odds favorite, knowing that they can potentially steal first place and put a little more distance between themselves and the Mets in the division standings. For the Mets, it’s all about stopping the bleeding.
New York at Philadelphia MLB Lines & Prediction
- When: Friday, May 11 at 7:05 PM EST
- Where: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia
- Starting Pitchers: Steven Matz vs. Jake Arrieta
- TV: ESPN+
- Radio: New York 710 WOR / Philadelphia 94 WIP
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Lines: Philadelphia Phillies -160 (Over/Under at 8)
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: New York Mets 4.00 / Philadelphia Phillies 4.70
- Hits: New York Mets 7.80 / Philadelphia Phillies 8.00
- Walks: New York Mets 3.60 / Philadelphia Phillies 3.70
- Strike Outs: New York Mets 7.40 / Philadelphia Phillies 8.90
Why Consider the MLB Lines for New York?After holding the top spot in the NL East from pretty much day one, the Mets are on a losing skid that has seen them drop all the way down to 4th, albeit just 3 ½ games out. It can be argued that this downward trend began when the whole Matt Harvey situation exploded, with many of the Mets players coming out and saying that he deserved another chance. The front office did not listen, shipping him off to the Reds, who just beat the Mets in a 3-game series.With those losses, New York now has only 1 win in their last 8 games, mostly because their pitching and hitting have gone cold at exactly the same time. The Mets have now lost 3 straight series, and need to get something out of this weekend if they want to stay in touch with the leaders. It will be Steven Matz (1-3, 4.23 ERA) who gets the start.
Why Consider the MLB Lines for Philadelphia?It has been a fantastic week for the Philadelphia Phillies, as they come into their weekend series with the Mets on the heels of a 4-game sweep over the San Francisco Giants. Everything was clicking for Philly in that last series, scoring 32 runs and giving up just 8. We shouldn’t really be surprised at how dominant the pitching staff was against the Giants. After all, this is a team that has had 22 quality starts from their rotation, good enough for second in the league.Their offensive outburst over the last 4 days has also helped them move into the top 10 in runs scored. In short, this team is beginning to fire on all cylinders. The Phillies are an impressive 15-5 in their own ballpark this season, but their one downfall has been their play in their own division, where they are just 7-13. It will be former Met Jake Arrieta (3-1, 3.15 ERA) who gets the start.
Latest MLB Betting Trends
- NY Mets are 1-8 ATS in their last 9 games
- NY Mets are 1-8 SU in their last 9 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of NY Mets’ last 5 games
- Philadelphia is 5-0 ATS in its last 5 games
- Philadelphia is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games
- The total has gone OVER in 7 of Philadelphia’s last 10 games at home