No matter how big a favorite a team is heading into the new MLB season, they still need to go out and win games if they are to live up to expectations. The problem here is that there are a lot of things that can go wrong over the course of a 162-game season, with injuries playing a role, as well as divisional rivals rising up to make things a good deal tougher than expected.
Over the course of the past few seasons, the Cleveland Indians have had their way in a weak AL Central Division, but they are on the outside looking in at the top spot right now, as the Minnesota Twins have started the season strong. The Indians are looking to keep pace with the leaders, which they can do with a strong showing in Oakland over the weekend against a struggling Athletics team that nevertheless comes in as the MLB betting favorite.
How to Bet Indians vs Athletics MLB Spread & Game Analysis
- When: Friday, May 10 at 9:37 PM EST
- Where: Alameda County Coliseum, Oakland
- Starting Pitchers: Anderson vs. Montas
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: The Game
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Spread: Oakland Athletics -165 (Total 8.5)
Why bet on the Cleveland Indians?In the past, the Cleveland Indians have essentially had the division title all wrapped up by the time the All-Star Break rolls around, but they look to be in for a much tougher battle this year. The Indians are currently trailing the Twins by 3 ½ games after opening the season with a 20-16 record. That’s not an awful mark by any stretch of the imagination, but it is not as good as we expected from this team.
The Indians are sitting with a -2 run differential overall and are just 9-9 on the road, both of which need to improve if they are to stay in this race. A trip to Oakland is not ideal, as Cleveland is just 1-7 SU in their last 8 visits there. They will send Cody Anderson (0-1, 11.12 ERA) to the mound for this one.
- Runs: 3.58
- Hits: 7.00
- Walks: 3.58
- Strike Outs: 9.31
- Runs: 3.83
- Hits: 7.53
- Walks: 3.00
- Strike Outs: 9.61
Why bet on the Oakland A’s?It is beginning to look as though this is going to be a long season for the Oakland A’s, as they are in the AL West, which appears to be as competitive as ever. As it stands at the moment, the A’s find themselves in the basement with a 17-22 record, which has them sitting 6 ½ games off the pace being set at the top by the Houston Astros.
If there is something positive that the A’s can take from their sluggish start to the year, it is that they have a positive record at home, going 12-9 in their own ballpark. They have been struggling of late, though, winning just 3 of their last 10 games. The A’s will send Frankie Montas (4-2, 2.75 ERA) to the mound for this one.
- Runs: 4.51
- Hits: 8.21
- Walks: 3.49
- Strike Outs: 7.51
- Runs: 4.69
- Hits: 8.38
- Walks: 3.33
- Strike Outs: 7.95
Indians vs Athletics MLB Betting Trends
- Indians are 2-7 SU in their last 9 games against Oakland
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Cleveland’s last 8 games on the road
- Athletics are 5-1 SU in their last 6 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Oakland’s last 6 games against an opponent in the American League
- Indians are 59-51 against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons
- Athletics are 114-88 against the money line in all games over the last 2 seasons
- Anderson is 0-1 when starting against OAKLAND with an ERA of 4.05 and a WHIP of 1.199
- Montas is 0-1 when starting against CLEVELAND with an ERA of 4.76 and a WHIP of 1.587
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Indians vs AthleticsYou look at the standings and automatically think that Cleveland should have this series covered, but as we have seen in the past, Oakland has not been a happy place for the Indians. I am taking Oakland to win the opening game of this weekend series on Friday night.
Score: Cleveland Indians 3 – Oakland Athletics 5