Given all the player movement in the MLB, it’s always tough to know how a division will play out from season to season. A team that won their division last year might well struggle the next of they are unable to hold on to the key players that led them to that successful season. Likewise, a team might decide that it’s time to splash some money around in the free agent market, a move that might take them out of the cellar and into the race for a division crown.
In the NL West, the LA Dodgers have remained the team to beat for a few years now, making it all the way to the World Series in the last 2 seasons. The Colorado Rockies have been strong challengers over the past couple of seasons and were expected to be that again this year, but the division goes even better, with the San Diego Padres landing Manny Machado in the offseason. The Padres and Rockies will square off in Denver this weekend, with the Rockies favored by 1 ½ in the Friday night tilt. The O/U for this one is set at 9 ½.
Padres vs Rockies MLB Odds, Preview & Prediction
- When: Friday, May 10 at 8:40 PM EST
- Where: Coors Field, Denver
- Starting Pitchers: Lauer vs. Marquez
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: Altitude Sports
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Colorado Rockies -180 (Total 10)
Why bet on the San Diego Padres?
The Padres got out to a quick start this season, spending some time at the top of the NL West before cooling off a little. That positive start to the year has them still sitting in a decent position, as they are 3rd in the division, just 3 games off the pace with a 21-17 record. Where most teams enjoy the comforts and familiarity of home, San Diego appears to be a team built for life on the road.
They are sitting a game below .500 in their own ballpark, but they are a very solid 11-6 away from home. With that in mind, we should perhaps ignore that they are 0-2 versus the Rockies this season, as both of those losses came at home. The Padres are also an impressive 10-4 ATS as a road dog this season. They will hand the ball to Eric Lauer (2-3, 4.30 ERA) in this one.
- Runs: 3.92
- Hits: 7.42
- Walks: 2.53
- Strike Outs: 9.50
- Runs: 3.89
- Hits: 7.79
- Walks: 2.76
- Strike Outs: 9.16
Why bet on the Colorado Rockies?
The Rockies saw their season get off to a miserable start, but they slowly started to turn things around after winning those 2 road games against the Padres earlier in the season. It is not yet a total turnaround, though, as this is a team that is still sitting 3 games below .500 at 17-20, while also being 6 ½ games off the pace being set by the Dodgers.
If the Rockies are to claw their way back into the division title race, they need to pick up games by beating the teams ahead of them, so this series would be a good start. The Rockies have struggled in their own ballpark, though, going 7-10 SU there, which is very unusual for a team that has traditionally been good at home. They will start German Marquez (3-2, 3.46 ERA) in this one.
- Runs: 4.92
- Hits: 8.49
- Walks: 3.14
- Strike Outs: 9.51
- Runs: 5.38
- Hits: 9.05
- Walks: 3.73
- Strike Outs: 8.19
Padres vs Rockies MLB Betting Trends
- Padres are 12-6 SU in their last 18 games on the road
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of San Diego’s last 5 games when playing on the road against Colorado
- Rockies are 5-10 SU in their last 15 games against an opponent in the National League West division
- The total has gone OVER in 6 of Colorado’s last 6 games at home
- Rockies are 63-54 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record over the last 2 seasons.
- Padres are 46-52 against the money line in road games over the last 2 seasons
- Lauer is 0-1 when starting against COLORADO with an ERA of 6.75 and a WHIP of 1.500
- Marquez is 2-2 when starting against SAN DIEGO with an ERA of 4.13 and a WHIP of 1.163
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Padres vs Rockies
The Rockies are on a streak that has seen each of their last 7 games go OVER, which is why that is the bet I will be playing in this one. As far as the result goes, I am on the Rockies to win and cover the spread.
Score: San Diego Padres 4 – Colorado Rockies 6