In professional sports, the reality is that a team cannot consistently win games with the addition of just one player. Sure, you can argue that LeBron James has done that in the NBA, but he was also always surrounded by a solid supporting cast. It’s a whole lot tougher in baseball, and while it’s exciting to see a big-name player land on your team, his arrival is no guarantee that success will immediately follow. The LA Angels have the best player in the game in Mike Trout, but they still cannot touch the best teams in the American League in terms of overall performance.
It is proving to be a similar story in Philadelphia, where the much-heralded offseason arrival of Bryce Harper has done little to help the Phillies get closer to the postseason. The dream of a postseason spot is certainly not yet dead for the Phillies, but they need a strong finish, starting with a win on Tuesday night on the road in Arizona. The D-Backs are favored by 1 ½ at home, with the run total set at 9 ½.
Phillies vs Diamondbacks MLB Odds, Game Info & Pick
- When: Tuesday, August 6 at 9:40 PM EST
- Where: Chase Field, Phoenix
- Starting Pitchers: Arrieta vs. Leake
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: SiriusXM
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -135 (Total 9.5)
- Partly Cloudy: 38°C/101°F
- Humidity: 23%
- Precipitation: 0%
- Cloud Cover: 56%
- Wind: 9 mph WNW
- Stadium Type: Retractable
Why bet on the Philadelphia Phillies?
This season for the Phillies was always going to be measured on the success of the Bryce Harper deal. While his numbers don’t yet match the price tag, the reality is that the Phillies are still in the playoff picture. Philly is in a battle with the Nationals for the #2 spot in the NL East, with both teams sitting 5 games off the pace being set by the Atlanta Braves, who are in a bit of a swoon at the moment.
Things look a good deal rosier in the Wild Card, with Nationals and the Phillies currently occupying the top two spots. There are a ton of teams hot on their heels, though, so no time to take the foot off the gas. Philadelphia is 25-27 SU on the road and 29-23 ATS. They will have Jake Arrieta (8-8, 4.44 ERA) on the mound for this one.
- Runs: 4.77
- Hits: 8.40
- Walks: 3.62
- Strike Outs: 8.81
- Runs: 4.95
- Hits: 9.08
- Walks: 3.39
- Strike Outs: 8.70
Why bet on the Arizona Diamondbacks?
If there was ever a time for the Arizona Diamondbacks to start winning and get back into the playoff hunt, this is it. They are currently sitting 3 ½ games out of the final spot, which is occupied by the Phillies. It goes without saying that this is a crucial series for Arizona, although shipping out their pitching ace in the Zack Greinke trade suggests that they may already be looking ahead to next season.
They are certainly not doing much to show that they are up for a playoff fight, going just 4-6 in their last 10 games. They have also not been good enough at home this season, going 3 games below .500 at 25-28 SU and 27-26 ATS. The D-Backs and Phillies are tied at 2-2 in the regular-season series. Mike Leake (9-8, 4.27 ERA) will make his first start since coming over from the Mariners.
- Runs: 5.21
- Hits: 9.03
- Walks: 3.32
- Strike Outs: 8.38
- Runs: 4.57
- Hits: 8.44
- Walks: 3.12
- Strike Outs: 8.78
Phillies vs Diamondbacks MLB Betting Trends
- Phillies are 6-1 SU in their last 7 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 10 of Philadelphia’s last 14 games against an opponent in the National League West division
- Diamondbacks are 4-10 SU in their last 14 games against an opponent in the National League
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona’s last 7 games this season
- Phillies are 35-39 against the money line in night games this season
- Diamondbacks are 42-25 against the money line when playing on Tuesday over the last 3 seasons
- Arrieta is 5-3 when starting against ARIZONA with an ERA of 2.43 and a WHIP of 1.050
- Leake is 3-3 when starting against PHILADELPHIA with an ERA of 5.05 and a WHIP of 1.227
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Phillies vs Diamondbacks
While both of these teams are still in the Wild Card race, it is the Phillies who look the more likely to hang in there. I like them to go on the road and get the win on Tuesday night.
Score: Philadelphia Phillies 5 – Arizona Diamondbacks 3