Winning a division in the MLB would appear to be simple math; dominate at home + win versus division rivals + take advantage of the poor teams = pennant. While it may seem like simple math, the reality is that getting all three of those components to work in your favor is never easy. The MLB Odds underdog Pittsburgh Pirates are still in the hunt in the NL Central, 3 games back of the division-leading Milwaukee Brewers.
They have the chance to work on that simple math equation in this series against the Cincinnati Reds, who are already well adrift at the bottom of the division. The Central looks as though it is going to be a tight race all the way to the end, with the top 4 teams separated by just 3 games. The Pirates are skidding right now, but this is a golden opportunity to break out of the slump.
Game Info, MLB Odds & Prediction: Pittsburgh at Cincinnati
Here’s the afternoon lineup, presented by Honda.
— Pirates (@Pirates) 24 de mayo de 2018
- When: Thursday, May 24 at 12:35 PM EST
- Where: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati
- Starting Pitchers: Ivan Nova vs. Luis Castillo
- TV: MLBN
- Radio: Pittsburgh 93.7 FM / Cincinnati WLW 700
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Cincinnati Reds -125 (Over/Under at 8.5)
Recent Head to Head (Last 10 Games)
- Runs: Pittsburgh Pirates 4.30 / Cincinnati Reds 3.50
- Hits: Pittsburgh Pirates 8.50 / Cincinnati Reds 7.70
- Walks: Pittsburgh Pirates 3.80 / Cincinnati Reds 3.60
- Strike Outs: Pittsburgh Pirates 6.70 / Cincinnati Reds 8.80
Why Consider the MLB Odds for the Pirates?
We have spoken about the importance of picking up wins against the poorer teams in the league, but that is exactly what the Pirates have not been doing during their current 4-game losing skid. Pittsburgh was swept by the San Diego Padres to start the week, and then followed that up by losing the opening game of this series to the Reds. Perhaps the most painful part of the sweep by the Padres is that it came at home, especially when you consider that the Pirates were 15-6 in their own ball-park prior to that run.
This series versus the Reds were once where you through that Pittsburgh might gain some traction, especially after pounding the Reds in 3 of their 4 earlier meetings this season. They will hope to even things up on Wednesday before going for the series win in this one. Ivan Nova (2-4, 4.79 ERA) will start this one for Pittsburgh.
- Runs: 4.83
- Hits: 8.92
- Walks: 3.56
- Strike Outs: 7.48
- Runs: 4.42
- Hits: 8.62
- Walks: 294
- Strike Outs: 8.35
Why Consider the MLB Odds for the Reds?
The talk earlier this week was that the Reds might be ready trade away Matt Harvey after just recently picking the troubled pitcher up from the Mets. They may want to rethink that decision after the veteran hurler tossed in a 1-hit performance over 6 innings in the opening game of this series. The highlights have been few and far between for the 17-32 Reds this season, so it was certainly nice to see something positive come up for them this week.
Pitching has definitely been an issue for this team, as they have surrendered 232 runs thus far, and are the only team in the division with a negative run differential. While the win was nice, it only took them to 5-18 against division foes, which goes a long way towards explaining why they are stuck in the cellar. Luis Castillo (3-4, 5.6 ERA) will start this one for the Reds.
- Runs: 4.04
- Hits: 8.12
- Walks: 3.60
- Strike Outs: 8.46
- Runs: 5.14
- Hits: 9.24
- Walks: 3.88
- Strike Outs: 7.82
Latest MLB Betting Picks
- Pittsburgh is 0-5 ATS in its last 5 games
- Pittsburgh is 1-4 SU in its last 5 games
- The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh’s last 9 games
- Cincinnati is 5-12 SU in its last 17 games at home
- Cincinnati is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing at home against Pittsburgh
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Cincinnati’s last 5 games when playing at home against Pittsburgh
Expert Pick and Final Score Prediction
Yes, the Pirates are on a poor run of form right now, but they still have a chance to snap out of it in this series. I like them to come out and get the win on Thursday night.
Score: Pittsburgh Pirates 6 – Cincinnati Reds 3