When you play a season as long as what we get in MLB, you need to find a way to break it down so as not to become too overwhelmed with the number of games being played. For each individual team, it may be as simple as using the old cliché about taking one game or series at a time, or perhaps breaking the season down into one week at a time. As a bettor, a lot of us look at the previous week to 10 days to see how a team performed, as their results during that run may well have an impact on the game or series to follow.
If that is indeed the case, then we have an interesting series starting on Monday, with the Pittsburgh Pirates heading into Atlanta to face the Braves. The Pirates had a disappointing end to their last week, while the Braves closed things out on a bit of a high. Will that be something that carries over into this series? The Braves are favored by 1 ½ for the opening game on Monday, with the run total for this one set at 10.
Pirates vs Braves MLB Week 11 Odds, Game Info & Pick
- When: Monday, June 10 at 7:20 PM EST
- Where: SunTrust Park, Atlanta
- Starting Pitchers: Musgrove vs. Gausman
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: 680 The Fan
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Atlanta Braves -145 (Total 9.5)
Why bet on the Pittsburgh Pirates?
The Pittsburgh Pirates saw what looked to be a promising week come to a bitter end, losing 3 in a row to the Milwaukee Brewers in their weekend series. Prior to that, they had taken 2 of 3 from these Atlanta Braves, but that sweep now sees them sliding back down the standings in the NL Central. The Pirates dropped to 4 games below .500 at 30-24, which has them now sitting a full 7 games off the pace in the race for the division crown.
The sweep at the hands of the Brewers was not the best way to start a road trip for the Pirates, who have now fallen to a still respectable 17-16 away from home. As a road underdog, Pittsburgh are 17-13 ATS. They will send Joe Musgrove (4-6, 4.68 ERA) to the mound for this one.
- Runs: 4.25
- Hits: 8.95
- Walks: 2.62
- Strike Outs: 8.38
- Runs: 5.47
- Hits: 9.05
- Walks: 3.73
- Strike Outs: 8.73
Why bet on the Atlanta Braves?
The Braves went the opposite direction of the Pirates last week, bouncing back from a series loss to close things out with a sweep of the Miami Marlins. That nice little run helped the Braves close the gap at the top of the NL East to just 1 game with the Philadelphia Phillies losing on Sunday. That sweep helped Atlanta go 4-2 on their 6-game road trip, taking them to an impressive 20-14 on the road this season and 36-29 overall.
Oddly enough, the Braves have not been as good at home as they have been on the road, sitting 1 game above .500 at 16-15 SU. They have also not bee a great bet against the spread as a home favorite, going 11-16 ATS. It will be Kevin Gausman (2-5, 6.15 ERA) who gets the start in this one.
- Runs: 4.97
- Hits: 8.82
- Walks: 3.66
- Strike Outs: 8.49
- Runs: 4.74
- Hits: 8.42
- Walks: 3.72
- Strike Outs: 8.74
Pirates vs Braves MLB Week 11 Betting Trends
- Pirates are 3-6 SU in their last 9 games when playing on the road against Atlanta
- The total has gone OVER in 13 of Pittsburgh’s last 19 games against an opponent in the National League
- Braves are 4-2 SU in their last 6 games against an opponent in the National League
- The total has gone OVER in 4 of Atlanta’s last 5 games at home
- Pirates are 13-9 against the money line in road games against right-handed starters this season
- Braves are 70-55 against the money line after a win over the last 2 seasons
- Musgrove is 2-0 when starting against ATLANTA with an ERA of 4.12 and a WHIP of 0.915
- Gausman is 1-2 when starting against PITTSBURGH with an ERA of 5.46 and a WHIP of 1.314
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Pirates vs Braves
Given how the two starters here have gone of late, don’t be surprised to see a high-scoring affair on Monday night. I think it will be close, which is why I like the Pirates to cover in a loss.
Score: Pittsburgh Pirates 5 – Atlanta Braves 6